Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-04-2018, 02:13 PM
SOA

Default Is 4K worth it on Dish Network?

I'm finally getting a 4K TV. I've got an Apple TV 4K, and the new TV has Netflix and some other apps that can get 4K content. So, am I covered? Would there be any value in upgrading my Dish Network Hopper and Joey to be 4K capable? It would cost me $200 for the equipment upgrade, plus $100 for install. Seems steep.

Dish says on their website they have an ever-growing amount of 4K programming, including live sports. But then the Apple TV 4K also says they offer some live sports. But it's really hard to find any details about either online.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 PM
CAS

tell dish to pound sand and to give you the upgrades for free. how long have you been a customer?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 PM
SOA AAA

The Hopper 3 seems overkill (16 shows at a time?), but then I have seen my TiVo booked for six shows recording at the same time (often only due to extending one show a minute or so).

The install shouldn't be anything more than screwing in cable and plugging in. $100? Ripoff imo.

How much per month is the Hopper with 4K?
I have a 4K TV, but it didn't cost all that much (<$700), so no big rush for the upgrade.

I also have an old TV that I'm going to try to replace the capacitors myself. That should be fun.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
SOA AAA

I checked the Dish web site but saw nothing about Hopper 3 or Joey able to record in 4K. That either means "duh, of course it does," or that it can't.

I'll need to see 4K to determine if it's worth the leap. I'm already seeing plenty of pores and makeup covering in 1K that I'm probably not supposed to be focusing on.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
tell dish to pound sand and to give you the upgrades for free. how long have you been a customer?
Less than two months. I thought I was getting a 4k-capable Hopper at the time. I knew I might need to upgrade a Joey later. Didn't realize how much more costly the 4K hopper was.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I checked the Dish web site but saw nothing about Hopper 3 or Joey able to record in 4K. That either means "duh, of course it does," or that it can't.

I'll need to see 4K to determine if it's worth the leap. I'm already seeing plenty of pores and makeup covering in 1K that I'm probably not supposed to be focusing on.
Seemed like they were saying it could, but maybe I'm wrong. I did see that the Joey has to have a coaxial connection to get 4K (can't do it through wireless connection to Hopper the way my other content can.) Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but I found it interesting.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:41 PM
SOA

Found some interesting stuff on Consumer Reports. I think this tells me enough to say that I'm good without updating my Dish equipment, especially since HDR seems to make a bigger difference than 4K. Plus, my new Sony is supposed to be quite good at upscaling.

Quote:
https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-...tent-with-hdr/

Broadcast TV doesn’t yet support 4K, let alone HDR. The DirecTV and Dish satellite services do offer some 4K content, though not yet with HDR. (DirecTV says this is on its 2018 roadmap.)

However, you may start to see some of the bigger cable companies testing 4K with HDR over the next 12 to 18 months, and there may even be some regular HD content with HDR from cable in the future.

A new over-the-air standard, called ATSC 3.0, will support 4K with HDR broadcasts when it’s rolled out over the next few years.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 PM
SOA AAA

I think it would be awesome for nature shows.
(That could include sports, from the point of view of watching humans doing unscripted stuff.)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I think it would be awesome for nature shows.
(That could include sports, from the point of view of watching humans doing unscripted stuff.)
Folks say that Planet Earth II is incredible on 4K Blu Ray. I hear there are also a surprising number of good nature videos in 4K on YouTube! Unfortunately, none of those are HDR.