Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 AM
glassy glassy is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,895
Default Issue with WiFi

Hi AO, hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my WiFi at home and what I need to fix the issue. I apologize in advance for the lack of clarity in my own understanding of the situation.

We use AT&T for our internet, and I'm pretty sure we are using their provided router for WiFi. It's located on the 1st floor. It seems to work just fine for me most of the time, except occasionally when I'm upstairs it will seem to run a bit slow. g-lassie however doesn't have the same luck. Her iPad doesn't get any signal at all upstairs (it appears to connect to the network but it says "No internet connection" in the WiFi settings). The iPad works just fine on the main level usually - but then when she connects her work laptop to the WiFi when she is working from home, the iPad stops getting a signal and fails to play any streaming music.

I am not good at troubleshooting networking issues, but in my head the simplest solution is to (1) add a WiFi signal extender on the 2nd floor and (2) have her plug in to the router via a network cable when she WFH so that she isn't sucking all the bandwidth with her work laptop, allowing the iPad to continue using the Wifi unimpeded. Does that make sense, or am I totally misunderstanding the situation? Maybe AT&T's provided router is crap and I can solve both issues with a new router? IDK. Looking for suggestions. TIA.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:53 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Hi AO, hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my WiFi at home and what I need to fix the issue. I apologize in advance for the lack of clarity in my own understanding of the situation.

We use AT&T for our internet, and I'm pretty sure we are using their provided router for WiFi. It's located on the 1st floor. It seems to work just fine for me most of the time, except occasionally when I'm upstairs it will seem to run a bit slow. g-lassie however doesn't have the same luck. Her iPad doesn't get any signal at all upstairs (it appears to connect to the network but it says "No internet connection" in the WiFi settings). The iPad works just fine on the main level usually - but then when she connects her work laptop to the WiFi when she is working from home, the iPad stops getting a signal and fails to play any streaming music.

I am not good at troubleshooting networking issues, but in my head the simplest solution is to (1) add a WiFi signal extender on the 2nd floor and (2) have her plug in to the router via a network cable when she WFH so that she isn't sucking all the bandwidth with her work laptop, allowing the iPad to continue using the Wifi unimpeded. Does that make sense, or am I totally misunderstanding the situation? Maybe AT&T's provided router is crap and I can solve both issues with a new router? IDK. Looking for suggestions. TIA.
Are you in a detached single family home(to see if there may be interference from other peoples' routers using the same wifi channels)?

Is your router located near other electronic devices, behind furniture, etc?

Do you know what wifi standard your router is outputting(802.11b/g/n/ac)?

AT&T's router could be crap. How long have you had it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:39 PM
glassy glassy is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Are you in a detached single family home(to see if there may be interference from other peoples' routers using the same wifi channels)? Yes, SFH

Is your router located near other electronic devices, behind furniture, etc? I think I have it at the bottom of open cabinet, so I will try and move it and advise if this helps

Do you know what wifi standard your router is outputting(802.11b/g/n/ac)? I'll have to check on this and report back

AT&T's router could be crap. How long have you had it? < 7 months. It seemed to be brand new when we got it
.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:44 PM
ahow's Avatar
ahow ahow is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burninating the Indiana
Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale
Posts: 12,328
Default

Another consideration is the obliqueness of the angle from the WiFi router to the device. For example, if your device is directly on the opposite side of the wall, the signal penetrates say 6” of wall. If your device is moved up a foot or two and to the side a foot or two, the signal may end up traveling through multiple feet of wall, as the crow flies so to speak. If your bedroom is offset by a large distance from the room with router, the straight line may pass through 6 or more feet of wall. Plus, plaster is much worse than drywall, so materials can make a difference.

All that being said, I’d blame the AT&T router first.
__________________
ahow
Badass
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9,030
Default

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2018, 02:51 PM
glassy glassy is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Another consideration is the obliqueness of the angle from the WiFi router to the device. For example, if your device is directly on the opposite side of the wall, the signal penetrates say 6” of wall. If your device is moved up a foot or two and to the side a foot or two, the signal may end up traveling through multiple feet of wall, as the crow flies so to speak. If your bedroom is offset by a large distance from the room with router, the straight line may pass through 6 or more feet of wall. Plus, plaster is much worse than drywall, so materials can make a difference.

All that being said, I’d blame the AT&T router first.
Hmm, our walls are plaster on the first level. **** plaster. I might try and borrow a router from a friend and see if that makes an improvement over the AT&T one. Not much I can do about the plaster (right now), though we do eventually have plans to change it all to drywall. Need the ol' money tree to germinate first though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
this made me laugh a *bit* too hard
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:00 PM
BruteForce's Avatar
BruteForce BruteForce is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier
Posts: 11,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
No really though, have you? I don't have that issue with my current router, but I've had routers in the past that just would slow down every couple of months. I would just unplug for 30-60 seconds, then plug back in. Then everything would go back to normal.
__________________
ASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM
glassy glassy is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,895
Default

That's literally the very first thing I do when experiencing any type of internet issue, having dealt with customer service several times in the past. So I'm sure I tried that as soon as the wife complained about the issue the first time, but I suppose I will try that again when I get home tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:41 PM
ahow's Avatar
ahow ahow is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burninating the Indiana
Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale
Posts: 12,328
Default

Don't knock plaster too much. It can withstand most abuse (water, fists, etc) far better than drywall. But yeah, it won't let through much signal, especially since they often used chicken wire to hold the corners and lathe seams together basically creating a faraday cage.

You may want to look at the mesh wifi networks but that may not help much with the plaster walls. In that case, you might look at getting a couple of Unifi units and some power line adapters to network it together. If you want more details on this solution, let me know. Also, there was a thread on these topics recently.
__________________
ahow
Badass
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:08 AM
Childish Gambino's Avatar
Childish Gambino Childish Gambino is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,814
Default

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?
__________________
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the US Flag and carrying a Cross.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 3.13029 seconds with 9 queries