Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

If you have a WiFi signal but no internet connection, that sounds more like a routing issue than a WiFi issue.

Also, if you have Google devices, you may be suffering from this:
https://www.myce.com/news/confirmed-...d-world-83428/
Old 04-13-2018, 01:00 PM
SOA

My new Orbi routers sometimes slow down my MacBook Pro and iPads, while letting everything else fly. Resetting the router is the only solution from Netgear. Luckily, it works. It's just a pain. I seem to be experiencing this problem less lately, so maybe they did a firmware update. Or maybe an Apple update fixed it (because I heard the problem had to do with a recent version of OS X that didn't "play nicely.")
Old 04-14-2018, 01:07 AM
SOA

There are apps that will tell you the signal strength at any point in your home. Some apps will tell you if your channel is getting interference from neighbors.

An iPad can use Dr. WiFi, which seems pretty good.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM
SOA AAA

1)I think I've read somewhere to place your router on the second floor of your home if possible, hopefully a central location.

2)Do you have a lot of other wifi possibilities pop up if you try to connect? You might want to change the channel of your router since a lot of routers have the same default channel from the factory.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan View Post
1)I think I've read somewhere to place your router on the second floor of your home if possible, hopefully a central location.
Gotta work WITH gravity and not against it.[/RED]
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

A few thoughts:

1. Re turning the router off and on...I actually make a point to keep my modem and router on a smart switch so that I can automatically cycle power. My router doesn't need it, but my cable modem had a tendency to lock up at the most inconvenient times before I started the practice.

2. As noted above, plaster generally isn't very transparent to WiFi signals.

3. The AT&T router likely isn't great, but it likely will support QOS logic, which will permit you to prioritize traffic for certain devices or certain protocols. This won't however, help with WiFi interference (like multiple devices trying to access a weak signal).

4. Devices that can use ethernet connections (they have the port, they are generally in fixed locations) should use ethernet, even if it is an ethernet connection to a wireless bridge.

5. In larger houses, or houses where plaster degrades signal, the best option is to have 2-3 wireless access points and use ethernet to connect them to the main router. If you must do wireless, be aware that the consumer mesh networking devices operate in such a way that throughput is sacrificed to maximize coverage. It may be better to configure your network such that you use one band to "backhaul" the traffic from the remote access point to the main router, and the other band to connect devices to the router.

6. Given the property described, you might consider having the main router on the second floor, and use remote access points on the bottom and top floor, so as to minimize the plaster that a WiFi signal has to traverse to find its way back to a wired connection.

7. The AT&T router is probably not wonderful so upgrading probably will help, but there is a limit to what you'll be able to do with consumer-grade WiFi gear. If running ethernet between floors simply isn't an option for you, you may consider looking into Ubiquiti's commercial gear. It's a pain to set up if you are only familiar with consumer WiFi, but their devices generally run with more power, and have various options available if you want to focus signal/reception in certain directions (e.g. beaming signal from an access point on one floor to another). Going this route is probably overkill in most situations, but if I were in a property like what's described and planned to be there for longer than a year, I probably would be motivated to look into it if wife or landlord forbade ethernet.

8. One other option: my late mother was always annoyed with the crappy WiFi signal in her part of my parents' (plaster-filled) house. Her solution was simple: she got a cell-enabled iPad.