Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
We belong to a profession with a powerful voice, a bully pulpit, if you will.

Nice one, Skynyrd!

Oh, wait, were you serious?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Oh, don't think they didn't think before signing *this* letter, .

The part you quoted was referring to the level of double-think required to reconcile the apparent hypocrisy of taking a stand in NC that costs the SOA nothing while trying to expand into markets like China, with much greater human rights abuses, and how they'll need to think long and hard before saying anything to the Chinese.
Although I might not put it as strongly I kind of agree with you. A statement of a formal policy of what sorts of actions they might take in response to different types of laws they find objectionable and what other circumstances they might want to take into consideration before doing so would clarify whether they are acting here out of a consistent principle they intend to uphold, or just because it's fashionable.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
Although I might not put it as strongly I kind of agree with you. A statement of a formal policy of what sorts of actions they might take in response to different types of laws they find objectionable and what other circumstances they might want to take into consideration before doing so would clarify whether they are acting here out of a consistent principle they intend to uphold, or just because it's fashionable.
I think this is what camp bell's question to the candidates is looking for. Sad to say, it may not find it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
Here's something from the NC Justice Center: "Now only Mississippi and North Carolina provide no state law remedy for any type of employment discrimination." What that implies, in my opinion, is that if you own a business and want to be discriminatory in your employment practices, North Carolina and Mississippi would be good places to move your business. The remainder of the states appear to be opposed to employment discrimination.
Maybe my memory is faulty, but didn't the Supreme Court (or some other body)already knock them down over this??

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University

Here's the mises institute's opinion. https://mises.org/blog/discriminatio...imination-laws

The one thing it misses is that these types of laws FAVOR big business. I have a friend that works in HR for a major hospital. He is constantly handling lawsuits from the employees charging racism/discrimination from the employees. One thing that this made me realize, is that this is how companies compete. By having the funds and lawyers available to fight the bogus charges, they are able to eliminate the competition of smaller companies that will not have the resources to fight these lawsuits. A smaller company that is just getting by that gets slapped with a million dollar lawsuit is always going to be forced to settle, or might lose the suit, and get put out of business.

Let private industry do what it wants, government institutions are the ones we have to monitor for nepotism, etc.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I definitely mean pathetic. I mean things worse than pathetic and pusillanimous (if you prefer the longer form of a word being objected to).

This highlights the profession's actual lack of standing in its areas where it's pertinent.

Oh yay, we took a strong stand here!

Oh, what was that about current retirees getting their pension payments cut in public pensions and MEPs? Not our business, eh? Who could have seen it coming?!

But boy, did we show it to the hicks in North Carolina!

And in both cases (where we actually have pertinency of expertise/interest vs where we don't), the public doesn't even know we exist, and the real decision-makers ignore us.

What a bully pulpit.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Exams

What the exam process to get your SJW designation?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

That's but one objection, but leads into the next.

The Board decided to get the SOA's name attached to this.

That means it's open to signing on to petitions in general... and it will be asked why that's being signed on to, but not others.

Do they have a policy there? Is there a limit to what political statements we'll sign on to?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Yeah, Ms Campbell, you're degrading the conversation with your language like "weenies" and "poosies" (ok, that wasn't you, but your post inspired it).

Are you assuming our gender?
I meant no offense by my comments, Marcie, and yes, I realize that avatars have no gender. I apologize if you were offended.

What I meant was that words like "pathetic" and "weenies" seem to anger others who don't think like we do, and the readers may not get the point being made because of the cognitive dissonance caused by such words.

And I also will use red font if I am being sarcastic. Thank you for understanding.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

What does the SOA gain by attaching its name to this?

The other party gets NameCount++ . . . and not a whole lot more.

I suppose the Board & Prez gets something they can point to if asked, "How did you support diversity?".

But I don't see how the SOA, as an organization, gets anything out of this.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Is the SOA going to also send/sign letters to China and Middle Eastern countries, telling them to end their violations of human rights?

Just wondering.
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
There's all sorts of things in the world that impinges on the membership.

What is the appropriate scope?

Will they be signing a #BlackLivesMatter petition next? We certainly have black members.

As mentioned above, will we start getting involved in Chinese civil rights matters? I haven't heard that the LGBTQ communities are all that well-treated there. As mentioned earlier, there are far more Chinese SOA members than NC members (very unsurprisingly).

It seems to me that they need to know what's appropriate for us, as an organization, to remark on.