Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Resume help

Hello

I am seeking some help with my resume. I had stopped taking exams and restarted a push toward ASA two years ago. All help and suggestions are welcomed.
Attached Files
File Type: doc APNSB resume.doc (52.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:07 PM

I'm guessing that since you've left your name and other details in the document Properties, and listed your actual employers in the resume, you aren't particularly bothered about keeping anonymous. (If you are, then you might want to repost asap).

Learn about Right Tabs in Word, rather than using spaces. Some people will find the lines overflow and wrap around, making it look untidy.

You might need a backstory on why didn't pass any exams for 5 years, and why you now want to get back into the field. Difficult to include in the resume, but should be in the covering letter at least.

You haven't included any details for your current job, which is the most important for prospective employers. They won't be that bothered about the details of your jobs ten years ago.

Oh, and you didn't post this in the Resume part of the AO.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 PM

I tried to remove my real name but I'm not that bothered by it being in there. FYI, I am a boondocks fan. I want some candid feedback from people that want to help, trolls will be trolls but my online profile is relatively clean.

What type of details would be good? I'm trying to get beyond basic stuff like I did premium/payment calculations and created reports, since I've heard that's sort of expected with some of my job titles.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 AM
SOA

College: Indiana University

Your current title is lower case and the others are upper case, the dates wrap around, you have nothing about your current position, you have the most bullet points for your fourth position and the number of bullet points should be decreasing or level, "an contract" should be "a contract", and I would leave off the dates you passed exams.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

The small font seems too small.

Since everyone cares about exams, I'd put them first in an Actuarial Exams section rather than hiding them at the end under education. I'd try to list the exams vertically so that the # of exams passed is clear without even reading. If there is info the reader expects, don't make them work to find it. If you can go vertical, I'd make it a fairly closely-spaced tabular format - left-aligned columns of "Exam P", "Passed", "Feb 2008". I'd definitely not use the # as month format, as that is much harder to read. Especially since there was a big gap, I'd consider listing your next exam.

I'm less bugged by increasing # of bullets - as long as there is good reason to have extra bullets for a job. But it doesn't seem like there's a good reason in this case.

The bullets are pretty hard to read - both from size and length and wording. Many of your bullets have results, but you've put them at the end of bullets. I'd put the result at the start. Try to avoid starting bullets with ambiguous words - trusted, assumed, ranked. Try to start with strong active words. Avoid "responsible for", which doesn't say you've actually done that. Avoid filler.

I'd use a hyphen in date ranges, with a space on either side.

I'd abbreviate B.S. I'd put grad date on the RHS. I'd just call it Education. While a degree is an achievement, I suppose, literally all applicants will have done the same and it seems odd to try to hype it as an achievement. Even though it was forever ago, I might list GPA if it was good.

I'd leave off "Microsoft" and "MS". You've already mentioned the only two Office apps that matter, so I'd leave "Office" off. I don't get why that VBA/UNIX C++ is grouped together. VBA doesn't have anything to do with C++. I'd leave UNIX off unless you know that UNIX will be important to where you're applying.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilango View Post
I would leave off the dates you passed exams.
I'm not sure I agree with this. The reader will definitely be looking for it and will probably assume the worst. Although the worst probably isn't that much different from the truth (if I were gonna guess based on the rest of the resume, I'd have guessed all were in the 2007 to 2010 range)? It would seem a lot better if you hadn't already let a year go by since your last pass. Still, I think there's some benefit to having one in 2017.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Did you get let go? Why did you leave the actuarial position in 2012?