Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian grey View Post
How do you get the $10 price difference? New releases for both systems are usually $59.
you're right...I wasn't remembering an article correctly
Quote:
First, users have said that there have not been many great games designed exclusively for the PlayStation 3. Most of the big-name games for it have also been released for Microsoft's Xbox 360 (less expensive than the PlayStation 3) and, with the notable exception of the alternate-history shooter Resistance: Fall of Man, the few exclusive titles for PlayStation 3 have largely failed to impress.
it generally said less expensive
but one example is that Fight Night Round 3 is now 29.99 for xbox 360 and 59.99 for PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
2006 Grammy Contest Winner

BTW, saw a pretty good commercial for Tiger Woods '07 for Wii yesterday. Hopefully it makes a good game too, Nintendo needs stuff like this to fill in those pesky months between January and October.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Ian, did you get or are you getting Motorstorm?

Are you willing to share one of your Tekken downloads with me if I send you $5-$10 through Paypal?

I might get Motorstorm. The demo is fun and the reviews are good, but it sounds like a short game.

I don't have a Paypal account, so I'll pass on the Tekken sharing part.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
Nintendo has Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros., and the new Mario. Sony has Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy (I think it's out this year, at least). So Sony isn't dead, but they're in trouble if Konami and Square end up going multiplatform with those games.
Nintendo actually has two new Mario games. Super Mario Galaxy is the "official" next gen game coming out for holidays most likely.

Super Paper Mario is a hold-over from the gamecube that is coming out next month. It's a 2/3-D platform game. It'll look like old school Super Mario (sorta), but will move into 3-D. For those not familiar with the "Paper Mario" series - all characters are paper thin...with abilities that take advantage of that (eg. mario folding into a paper airplane to get places he normally couldn't). The first two in the series were RPGs that (IMO) were pretty dull on gameplay. I am pretty eager for reviews on this platformer though...

MGS4 and FF13 might come out in Japan by end of this year. I be surprised if both make it to the states this year though...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
but one example is that Fight Night Round 3 is now 29.99 for xbox 360 and 59.99 for PS3.
That's because it came out for xbox before PS3, obviously. When Virtua Fighter is released for xbox this summer, the PS3 version will be cheaper.

This "advantage" that the xbox has won't last for long, since most multiplatform games will be released simultaneously.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
it generally said less expensive
That's a flawed argument though, Fight Night has been around for several months on the 360 and has already hit Platinum Hit status. I have no idea what his other examples are, but going forward, they'll be the same price. Offhand, I can't think of any other games that are cheaper for 360.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Nintendo actually has two new Mario games. Super Mario Galaxy is the "official" next gen game coming out for holidays most likely.

Super Paper Mario is a hold-over from the gamecube that is coming out next month. It's a 2/3-D platform game. It'll look like old school Super Mario (sorta), but will move into 3-D. For those not familiar with the "Paper Mario" series - all characters are paper thin...with abilities that take advantage of that (eg. mario folding into a paper airplane to get places he normally couldn't). The first two in the series were RPGs that (IMO) were pretty dull on gameplay. I am pretty eager for reviews on this platformer though...

MGS4 and FF13 might come out in Japan by end of this year. I be surprised if both make it to the states this year though...
I was thinking further ahead to the end of the year, but I'm more excited about Super Paper Mario. Seems like a can't-miss idea. I actually got Paper Mario cheap a year or two ago (the amazing Gamecrazy 3 for $15 deal), even though I'm not an RPG guy. Still haven't gotten to it, though.

I'd think at least MGS4 comes out this year. Isn't it in English worldwide and subtitled in Japanese? Sony needs to have at least one of those two games to make it, if not both.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
I'd think at least MGS4 comes out this year. Isn't it in English worldwide and subtitled in Japanese? Sony needs to have at least one of those two games to make it, if not both.
It might be...but are PS3 games region free? I'm pretty sure there was always a release delay between Japan and US releases of MGS games, so I can't imagine this one being any different...

I gave up on this series when I tried to play the 3rd one and wasn't enjoying it, so I'll be honest and say that I really don't know much about MGS4 aside from what little news I come across every now and again.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Sony needs to have at least one of those two games to make it, if not both.
I don't think so. Lair, Heavenly Sword, Devil May Cry 4, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are all generating lots of hype and will be released this year. Motorstorm is getting great reviews. The "Home" thing will also sell consoles (although I don't understand why people want to "play house" on a video game console.)
Old 03-08-2007, 03:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I don't think so. Lair, Heavenly Sword, Devil May Cry 4, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are all generating lots of hype and will be released this year. Motorstorm is getting great reviews. The "Home" thing will also sell consoles (although I don't understand why people want to "play house" on a video game console.)
What is your definition of hype? Are you read PS3 fan sites? I've been paying attention to "supposedly" unbiased sites - like IGN, Gamespot, and Joystiq - and haven't really heard much excitement about any of those games.

If Sony implements the "home" thing well, I could see it selling consoles...if a PS3 was around a $300 price range. I think anyone that would care would be smart enough to just download "Second Life" for a "supposedly" better experience.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one