Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
That's pretty impressive. I've been hovering in mid-silver since I started queuing competitive 2's a few months ago, but I've also only been playing with a guy that just started playing a month before we started playing ranked. I've been bouncing between high gold and low plat solo-queuing in standard 3's.
Nice! You buy the Rocket Pass or decide it wasn't worth it for you? Dunno how much you got into crates and trading. I used to queue 2v2 ranked with a buddy who was newer as well, but eventually the difference between us was too much to play ranked together as the matchmaking (understandably) gives you some really tough matchups to try and prevent unfair games for other players.

For instance, if I queued with him today with my high champ and him in gold, our games would be against two champ 1 opponents most likely. On top of that, the high ranked player loses a ton of ranking points for each loss and gains very very little for wins. We could lose twice and win 4 or 5 in a session and I would still lose a division while he would gain 2 or 3 divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
I do the PUBG as well, and will eventually get CoD, as it's been my shooter of choice ever since MW (if I play at all now it's BOpsIII). But I have annually restrained myself from starting new CoDs until after exam season, so I won't actually get it until after Oct 22. =/
You have more self discipline than me, good sir.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
You have more self discipline than me, good sir.
I just know how I get...not sure it's a good thing.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
but eventually the difference between us was too much to play ranked together as the matchmaking (understandably) gives you some really tough matchups to try and prevent unfair games for other players.
I had this issue as well with a buddy of mine since I was Diamond 3 and he had just started playing, so I made another account in which I would only play with him (extra accounts are free on ps4) and we landed on platinum 2.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Nice! You buy the Rocket Pass or decide it wasn't worth it for you? Dunno how much you got into crates and trading. I used to queue 2v2 ranked with a buddy who was newer as well, but eventually the difference between us was too much to play ranked together as the matchmaking (understandably) gives you some really tough matchups to try and prevent unfair games for other players.
I never did the crates until about a month ago when I was drinking and playing (a great way to lose rank), and then I convinced myself that I had spent enough time playing the game that I it was worth it to buy keys for my ~100 crates. I had enough left over after that to get the pass.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
I never did the crates until about a month ago when I was drinking and playing (a great way to lose rank), and then I convinced myself that I had spent enough time playing the game that I it was worth it to buy keys for my ~100 crates. I had enough left over after that to get the pass.
Dang haha, I don't open many crates, but when new crates come out you can sell them for keys while supply of them is low. Then I just trade for painted stuff or mystery decals I want from other players with keys or items after connecting via a trading website. I've added money as well (with similar justification as you), but also done a bunch of trades over time to get my inventory where I want it for some cool car combos.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:49 PM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

I've never opened a crate in my RL career. do love the game though. this is the first time I've been in Platinum for an extended period of time. I play 3v3 primarily.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 PM
CAS

Would you recommend Rocket League on PS4 or PC? Does it even matter? I don't know of any friends that play (except for a couple on XBox because they're dumb) so joining others doesn't fall into consideration. Guess it's more likely on a computer, anyone can get Steam and it doesn't seem like a game that requires an expensive setup.

I'd be really late to the party if I bought it, gonna get wrecked.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM

I haven't played Rocket League since getting obsessed (and my friends getting obsessed) with Fortnite over the past three months. I miss it. Was Platinum level for 2s and 3s back then (playing on a keyboard!).
Old 09-18-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Would you recommend Rocket League on PS4 or PC? Does it even matter? I don't know of any friends that play (except for a couple on XBox because they're dumb) so joining others doesn't fall into consideration. Guess it's more likely on a computer, anyone can get Steam and it doesn't seem like a game that requires an expensive setup.

I'd be really late to the party if I bought it, gonna get wrecked.
I've played on both and prefer PC. I think it plays and looks better. But there's also cross-platform play, and if you're on PC, you can talk shit to the console players without them being able to respond, but the reverse is not true.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 AM
CAS

Quote:
I've played on both and prefer PC. I think it plays and looks better. But there's also cross-platform play, and if you're on PC, you can talk shit to the console players without them being able to respond, but the reverse is not true.
I'm convinced.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one