Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeNBakes View Post
I really don't get this whole achievement thing. I'm not trying to crap on anyone or single anybody out, but what do you get from getting achievements? Serious question. In my mind, you get nerd points and the self-satisfaction that you can put your ADHD away long enough to play a game through all the way to the bitter end. Am I missing something? If you're doing it because you like the game and want to continue to play it, I can understand that and have done it myself. But it sounds like a lot of people do it just so they can say they got 100%, and so that other anonymous nerds on the internet will be in awe of their supreme nerd score. If you disagree, please enlighten me.

nope, that's largely it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Official AO Ninja

Studying for my next eye exam
Favorite beer: Guinness - because it's color of ninjas. And delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
nope, that's largely it
for real? or did you forget the red font? I'm not trying to wind you up, I'm legitimately trying to understand the appeal of achievements.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
I really don't get this whole achievement thing. I'm not trying to crap on anyone or single anybody out, but what do you get from getting achievements? Serious question. In my mind, you get nerd points and the self-satisfaction that you can put your ADHD away long enough to play a game through all the way to the bitter end. Am I missing something? If you're doing it because you like the game and want to continue to play it, I can understand that and have done it myself. But it sounds like a lot of people do it just so they can say they got 100%, and so that other anonymous nerds on the internet will be in awe of their supreme nerd score. If you disagree, please enlighten me.

I pretty much agree with you. I think they do extend the life of a game and can give you something to strive for. But they only work in that way for me if it's a game I really enjoy playing. I'm not going to keep playing a game I just mildly enjoy for trophies. And I'm sure as hell not going to spend mindless hours on a game just for trophies

(e.g. I have like all but one of the Sonic Genesis Collection trophies. But I have absolutely no interest in trying to complete Dr. Robotnik's puzzle game But trophies were good in that game because they kinda "forced" me to play games that I otherwise might not have touched in that collection)

I have a buddy who always puts down trophies and achievements (like I'm doing here). Then one day I see that he got the trophy in RB2 where you have to beat endless setlist without pausing or failing. IMO - that trophy is only there for trophy whores. No one in their right mind has any interest in doing that in general. I've heard of people getting together to "tag team" it so that at any given time, someone can goto the bathroom, eat, walk around, whatever. I asked my buddy and he said he did it all by himself one day. I gave him so much crap for that
Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin!
Favorite beer: Root

As far as FAQ use, I get the best use of them when I'm absolutely stuck in a spot. For instance, I was at a point in Zelda: Spirit Tracks that I just plain didn't know what to do. I tried for a long time before I went to the FAQ. And I don't think I would've ever figured it out. Thank goodness Metal Gear Solid 1 gave you the hint on Psycho Mantis, because that was a trick that I don't think ANYONE would've gotten on their own.

I'll also look at FAQs when I have gotten through a particularly tricky spot, and want to see if there's a more efficient way. Like the Magma Beams in Dr. Wily's castle level 1 in Mega Man 9.

However, using them to fly through a game is just not my thing. Takes the fun out of it.

The great thing about Jesus is that He came for ALL of us... while we were yet sinners. It is through Him that we are saved.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though working for the Lord, and not for men. Colossians 3:23

Where's Perry?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by punmanbowler View Post
I'll also look at FAQs when I have gotten through a particularly tricky spot, and want to see if there's a more efficient way. Like the Magma Beams in Dr. Wily's castle level 1 in Mega Man 9.
Did you ever finish MM9? I have a save right at Wily's castle, but never got a chance to go back to that game. I want to go back and finish it at some point. I'm debating on whether I"m getting MM10 or not...mainly cuz I think the same exact thing is going to happen and I won't ever finish it
Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I pretty much agree with you. I think they do extend the life of a game and can give you something to strive for. But they only work in that way for me if it's a game I really enjoy playing. I'm not going to keep playing a game I just mildly enjoy for trophies. And I'm sure as hell not going to spend mindless hours on a game just for trophies

(e.g. I have like all but one of the Sonic Genesis Collection trophies. But I have absolutely no interest in trying to complete Dr. Robotnik's puzzle game But trophies were good in that game because they kinda "forced" me to play games that I otherwise might not have touched in that collection)

I have a buddy who always puts down trophies and achievements (like I'm doing here). Then one day I see that he got the trophy in RB2 where you have to beat endless setlist without pausing or failing. IMO - that trophy is only there for trophy whores. No one in their right mind has any interest in doing that in general. I've heard of people getting together to "tag team" it so that at any given time, someone can goto the bathroom, eat, walk around, whatever. I asked my buddy and he said he did it all by himself one day. I gave him so much crap for that
bladder of steel...I'm going for that this weekend

why is THIS only for achievement whores while the MM10 achievements are for true gamers?
what's the difference? it takes skill and dedication to get this achievement

I need to go through the endlist setlist 2 for another achievement anyway...so I'll just make sure I'm dehydrated when I start

supposedly it'll take about 6 hours and 15 minutes or so to do

Quote:

Last edited by Wannabe Actuary; 01-25-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
for real? or did you forget the red font? I'm not trying to wind you up, I'm legitimately trying to understand the appeal of achievements.
as I've said before I view achievements as a full completion/beating of the game

I generally don't buy crappy games that I won't enjoy playing a lot
I also generally don't buy games at release, so I have more reviews to look at

Quote:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Who is planning on getting Mass Effect 2? The newest trailer completely sold me on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Who is planning on getting Mass Effect 2? The newest trailer completely sold me on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs
not sure, maybe

I downloaded the weapons/armor for free just in case...I posted the link first thing this morning

Quote:
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
not sure, maybe

I downloaded the weapons/armor for free just in case...I posted the link first thing this morning
I saw that mix up...unfortunately I don't bring my 360 with me to campus (to help me study) so I only play when I go back every other weekend.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one