Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
That was a good read. Thanks.
Quote:
Tell me the story of your career. Tell me what inspired you to become a Software Engineer. Tell me what made you fall in love with it. Tell me a story of where it tested you and where it rewarded you. Tell me the story of your finest moment in this chapter of your career.
so this dude claims that it's hard to get the truth and is literally begging for good stories that can't be verified. This is literally the perfect way to get fooled by a bullshit artist.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Because ultimately those companies only truly care about results. You could probably test as a sociopath and work at google if you were competent enough.

Most other companies do not operate like that. They don't need supreme competence. They need someone who they can work with, who shows they are flexible and can handle the work. And usually, being able to work with people causes issues to arise, so you also want a candidate with a high enough emotional IQ that they can deal with that as well.
Agree with this. Nothing wrong with how MS and Google interview, because it works for what they need. But very small-minded to act as if that's the one correct way of interviewing, or that using such techniques is what makes those companies a particular "class" or whatever. They use interview techniques that fit what they need.

MSF, agree with your point, but there's still value in the questions, you're somewhat hitting on the reason why I wanted to discuss the article in the first place. But don't really have time to write what I want to, so will come back to. Welcome other comments as I think there's a lot here to discuss.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Oh, I'm good at telling stories....

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

(well, we'll see what the readers think when the actuarial speculative fiction entries come out)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Great post from another thread. Not sure the percentages are meaningful, certainly don't get hung up on this, but really solid comments overall.

Quote:
lol Sometimes it is not a good idea to be blunt

Interviews come down to:

50% research:

a lot of the questions they will ask can in fact be prepared and rehearsed beforehand. There is no excuse for not doing this.

30% strategy

This part is what separates the people that are good at interviewing with those that are not. You need to visualize where the conversation might go and prepare stories and responses to if, and when the conversation goes there. If you do get the names of the people interviewing you, research them on Linkedin to find out their backgrounds. Once you do that, you need to figure out a way to develop a common interest when you interview with them.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make an emotional connection with the interviewer. This will literally make or break the interview.

10% Ability to adapt on the fly

This is a tough one. This comes from experience and ability, and is very hard to teach. Sometimes you will get questions you are not prepared for and you need to develop a story that is streamlined and reasonable, and that ultimately ties in with what they want to hear.

Note: absolutely everything you say in your interview has to be tied in to what they want in a candidate. Don't go off into tangents. You are essentially selling yourself here, and the best thing you can possibly do is show them that you can provide value to the company.

10% luck

Yep. Unfortunately, if you get the wrong guy/gal interviewing you you can be doomed from the get go. This has happened to me twice.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:06 PM

That thread actually has a lot of good stuff there, recommend that ELs read the whole thing. The post that I copied here is the best piece in the thread, but far from being the only thing worth reading.

Last edited by Westley; 03-22-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Non-Actuary

That thread:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=320406

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“Belief gets in the way of learning.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”

Old 07-03-2017, 03:02 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Houston
Favorite beer: Franziskaner hefe-weisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
If you ask me what my greatest weakness is, I will not like you. Don't do that. pls.
I was asked that question. It was my first interview, for an internship that turned into my first gainful employment. I think my response was epic, or just very well placed for the moment and the audience.

I actually landed that job in that interview because the hiring manager asked me, what are you going to do after you graduate, i replied, well join the ranks of the millions of graduates seeking employment. he responded, no, not after this interview.

I dont intend the above as a brag, but i felt that being honest helped me get a job that i was under qualified for, but it also helped me form a strong relationship with my superior.

Last edited by blade.runner; 07-03-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Old 07-03-2017, 03:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade.runner View Post
I was asked that question. It was my first interview, for an internship that turned into my first gainful employment. I think my response was epic, or just very well placed for the moment and the audience.
Go on....
Old 07-03-2017, 03:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade.runner View Post

I actually landed that job in that interview because the hiring manager asked me, what are you going to do after your graduate, i replied, well join the ranks of the millions of graduates seeking employment. he responded, no, not after this interview.

I dont intend the above as a brag, but i felt that being honest helped me get a job that i was under qualified for, but it also helped me form a strong relationship with my superior.
That interviewer's name? Albert Einstein.