Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-15-2017, 04:20 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: UCSB
Default Number of exams and employment

Hi everyone,
Recently I've heard and read a lot of information regarding the number of exams you passed and the amount of job offers you get. The general consensus seems to be that getting your ASA before having any experience is bad because companies will have to pay you more even though they don't know if you're capable of the work. This seems especially true in insurance companies, but I've heard people say that for consulting companies, more exams = better. I'm leaning towards the consulting path, but I definitely don't want to cut myself off from other possible paths. Thus, I have two plans that I can think of right now and would like to get some advice from y'all experienced people.
1. Hypothetically speaking, I will pass all 5 exams before the 2018 SOA curriculum changes and have an internship before I seek employment.
2. I will pass as many exams as I can and wait for the curriculum changes to occur and pass the last few exams (including the new ones) when I find employment.
In terms of salary and receiving job offers, which plan do you think is more feasible? Again, these are plans, and I'm not trying to be cocky.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Pass exams as fast as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: UCSB

Quote:
Pass exams as fast as you can.
Could you please elaborate on why you think that?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM
CAS

cuz when you start work, it's going to be 10x harder to study. then personal life becomes more important and that's where many people stop taking exams. few people take exams past the age of 30, and when they do it's a real struggle.

avoid the syllabus changes the best you can. i took exam S in its 2nd sitting and the worst part was not having years of prior exams to look at.

like you said, having too many exams is an opinion that depends on the employer's situation. i only know 1 guy who ever made it to that scenario, but his problem was also too many years of job searching
Old 02-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersunnyd View Post
before the 2018 SOA curriculum changes
What? You don't trust that the new material will make you a better actuary!? Why would you want to take the exams quickly and miss out on the updates?

-Riley