Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 PM
CAS

Studying for 2/FM
College: University of Oklahoma Alumni
Question Engineering Graduate with 1 Exam Passed—Request for resume critique

Feel free to tear my resume apart. Any advice is welcome. I am taking Exam FM in April and will try to squeeze in time to hone my VBA, Python, and/or SAS/R skills.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume for Critique for AO.pdf (69.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
CAS SOA

Why dont you become a petroleum engineer? I assume they pay much more (and be expected to answer this question during interviews).
Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd leave an inch of margin - especially since you seem to have space to work with.

I'd put the exams in a section named Actuarial Exams. I leave off the exam subject. A more tabular format is easier to read. I'd have "Exam P", a left-aligned column with "Passed"/"Sitting", a left-aligned column with the date. Get rid of parenthesis and "on".

I'd abbreviate months everywhere. I'd include months everywhere.

I'd indent all text under the section headings - so the eduction section and the lines above the bullets. Oh, and the exams, once that's a section. that will make the format stand out way more than a bunch of lines and all-caps, etc.

I'd put the U on a separate line from the degree/major. I'd put the minor on a separate line - especially since I'd imagine you want to get across that you're not "just" a pet eng. Putting it on a separate line will make the "math" more visible. You can simplify the gpa: GPA: 3.29, Senior GPA: 3.87.

Having a tutoring section and a vol and work section is incredibly confusing. It is not at all clear what jobs you've had. That's probably sufficient to get your resume thrown out. Put work in a work section. Put volunteer in a volunteer section, if anywhere.

The tutoring section itself also doesn't make any sense. It seems to me you're listing two jobs here and only one of them is tutoring. The other should be "Author".

Rather than listing Standardized Test, then having to explain with the parenthetical ACT/SAT, just say ACT and SAT up front. Don't list "etc.". It's never necessary or helpful.

As an author, the first two bullets are unecessary. Write it as the bigger picture. If you feel you have to describe what's unique about your study guide, list it as part of the description of the study guide, not as tasks you've done (so no "consolidated" or "combined" bullets)

You really don't need a description for volunteering at the food bank. It's pretty obvious. There's no need for any dates there.

"Worked on a 1-on-1 basis with" is a very weak bullet. "Taught" is better. I'm not fond of the other bullet. Babysitting as a teacher doesn't seem something to brag about imo, even if that really was what you were hired o do. I just don't see it as adding anything after the first bullet.

There is no good reason at all to mention any pet eng software. There are reasons not to mention it. So don't mention it.

I'd leave off writing and speaking unless you include something that demonstrates that your writing and speaking skills are extraordinary. I can't imagine they are. You probably get some free public speaking points just for teaching btw.

I'd only include the bilingual part if you really think that your Korean skills will be needed by your employer. If you choose to include it, I'd call it "English and Korean skills". Or maybe leave English off completely, as implicit. I don't think "fluent" should be capitalized here.

OK, if you get rid of the last two bullets, the section is now "Computer Skills".

I'd leave all the periods off the end of bullets.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

"hone" sounds like a BS word - like you don't want to admit you haven't already learned those languages. Personally, I think I'd avoid it.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM
CAS

Studying for CPCU 530
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
Why dont you become a petroleum engineer? I assume they pay much more (and be expected to answer this question during interviews).
I would ask this question if I was interviewing you, and I'm a career-changer from engineering myself. Most engineering majors would not strike me as odd on an actuarial application (whether computer, electrical, mechanical, industrial, or even chemical or civil), because they certainly have sufficient math aptitude and the starting salary levels are comparable to actuarial work. However, petroleum engineering is a unique animal, where you can make ACAS-level money in your first job out of college. Those in the know about the major are going to be curious about why you're walking away from it. This is not to imply that it's something to be counted against you, but that you need to make sure there's a clearly communicated reason behind your decision.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
It rhymes with dough coil spices

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaknight14 View Post
Most engineering majors would not strike me as odd on an actuarial application (whether computer, electrical, mechanical, industrial, or even chemical or civil), because they certainly have sufficient math aptitude and the starting salary levels are comparable to actuarial work.
What do you mean by "or even"? Chemical engineers take pretty much the same math as the other engineering disciplines. And, depending on the job, apply it: flow (Navier Stokes), non-Newtonian flow (tensor math), reactor design (systems of differential equations), process optimization (NLP), control theory (complex analysis), process monitoring/online property estimation (machine learning), process design (MINLP), modeling, ...
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
What do you mean by "or even"? Chemical engineers take pretty much the same math as the other engineering disciplines. And, depending on the job, apply it: flow (Navier Stokes), non-Newtonian flow (tensor math), reactor design (systems of differential equations), process optimization (NLP), control theory (complex analysis), process monitoring/online property estimation (machine learning), process design (MINLP), modeling, ...
In terms of math difficulty:

Nuclear > electrical > the rest.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
It rhymes with dough coil spices
Meh. E & P is warming back up. Slowly, but it's coming.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 PM
CAS

Studying for CPCU 530
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Oh I agree with you. I meant that to imply that it may not sound like an applicable major, when in fact it is.
Course on Professionalism [✔]

Tags
career change, guessed petrol from title, request for advice, resume critique