Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

:snort:

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-08-2017, 03:13 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan54673 View Post
At least it wasn't his own job
Would be able to negotiate a lot more aggressively though. Then just get some new shoes so nobody recognises you and you're golden
Old 02-08-2017, 03:37 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

I did once get a recruiter call for a great job in my area, that was the job I held just before the incumbent who was leaving took it over. "Why yes, Mr. Recruiter, I actually know quite a bit about that position. I held it for six years."

This, however, is nowhere NEAR as amusing as "Dancing With Mary Pat".
Old 02-08-2017, 03:55 PM
CAS

Studying for Calc & Stat Tutoring

I once got a call from a recruiter telling me about a job I had just accepted the day before.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

I must have gotten on some sort of "people who can teach things" list

Quote:
Hi Mary Pat,
I have an opening for a Technical Instructor with Global Business Solutions in Groton, CT that I thought may interest you. If you'd like to proceed or learn more about this opportunity please follow the link below:
Technical Instructor
Global Business Solutions
The Technical Instructor supports the Navy's IT and Cyber training continuum for instructing students in the manner described in the course textbooks and materials, conducts practical exercises in a classroom/laboratory environment, conducts course instruction by applying adult learning principles, theories, and practices, and in some cases, uses a blended learning approach.

Provides classroom instruction to teach the students in the manner described in the Course Master Schedule (CMS), textbooks and materials;

Adapts instructional methods based on analysis of individual student and group needs;
Uses role-playing techniques and performance-based exercises to reinforce learning objectives.

DoD-issued Secret Security Clearance is required;Must have two (2) years of IT-related Instructor experience within the last four (4) years;
Just because I've taught several different things doesn't mean I can teach =any=thing

Also, I'm not going to try for the security clearance thing again, though, to be fair, the last time I tried, it was for Top Secret (or whatever it is you need to work for the NSA), and there was going to be some trouble with that.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I just got a doozy of an "apply for our job" email. I've gotten some oddities in the past, but this one is ... I have no idea why they emailed me.
That video of you twerkin' must have gotten out!

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Unfortunately I do not still have this email as it was on my previous work's email.

However, the email assumed that I was a high-end hiring manager in IT and they sent me an email asking if I'd like to look over some resumes. Then, maybe a week later or so (I hadn't responded) they sent me a group of resumes anyways.

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies
Old 02-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I just got a doozy of an "apply for our job" email. I've gotten some oddities in the past, but this one is ... I have no idea why they emailed me.

This thread is for the wildly off-base job-related emails.

No, not the "I'm in Life, but it's a P&C position" kind of stuff. Just items that aren't even in the same universe as indicated by your resume.
....and this original guy sent me another email. I think I'm going to have to block him.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

same guy, now he has something new!

Quote:
I have an opening for a Course Instructor with South Windsor Entertainment LLC in South Windsor, CT that I thought may interest you. If you'd like to proceed or learn more about this opportunity please follow the link below:
Course Instructor
South Windsor Entertainment LLC
Assist and provide support to Event Coordinator in organizing events such as team building, corporate, theme nights, parties and concerts
Ticket and merchandise sales, refunds, exchanges, and the corresponding park policies on those transactions
Responsible for general cleanliness of retail area, ticket sales area, picnic areas, bathrooms and other customer and staff areas
Confirm all guests have read and signed legal disclaimer, and meet all requirements to safely navigate the course
Instruct and brief guests on the safety procedures and the safe way of using the course
Thanks for taking your time with this. If you feel this would be a better fit for someone you know please pass this message along.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Got this the other day. I work in health insurance on the other side of the country from this guy.

Quote:
Hi BruteForce,

I am reaching out today to let you know that I have been recruiting licensed home and auto insurance agents in your area to see if we can make additional revenue together by supplementing your new and old customers with an auto warranty so that they can have total vehicle protection. Each policy sold will earn you an average pay-out of $600.00!

Protect My Car is one of the leading providers of aftermarket warranty plans in the United States. We operate as both the administrator and obligor of our policies with an in-house Claims Department and dedicated Customer Service team. We take pride in our ability to help our customers deal with their vehicle’s mechanical breakdown and repair issues.

Being a Protect My Car affiliate is easy. All you have to do is offer our service to your customers when they purchase auto insurance - then sign them up. You can increase your customer revenue by 600%!

Our new Affiliate Program is going to allow each Insurance Agent to have their own territory, so please act now by emailing me directly, or click HERE to submit your information.

Looking forward to hearing from you to discuss this opportunity!

Ron Roberts
VP of Business Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.