Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Casualty View Post
Pension FSA with ~12 yrs experience here, thinking of moving to casualty for money/long-term security, etc. Questions:

1. How difficult a move would this be, both in terms of finding a job and learning the new trade? How marketable is a seasoned actuary from another field? How valuable is client/personel responsibility to an employer, compared to expertise in the field? If I want to stay in a consulting environment, would it be more difficult?

2. What exams should I take before even starting to look? Was thinking of 5, 6 and 7. Is this necessary or should I just start?

3. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance.
  1. It would depend a lot on the company, IMO. Some companies might value the "different" perspective you'd bring to the process. Others . . . might want you to demonstrate your dedication to the new profession to some extent. I can't speak too much to the consultancy perspective, however.

2. Take 5 first. Get a good feel for what it's going to take to pass upper level CAS Exams. Might be better to then follow up with Exam 6 and get ACAS. (Note that you'll also need to take two Online Courses to complete the requirements for ACAS; so you might look to start there as well. Note that neither Course is required to do well on Exam 5, but it might help you "transition" to the thinking on the CAS side of the fence.)

3. If you don't already have one in place, start building a network of CAS members. To get ACAS, you'll need some letters of recommendation from current members of the CAS.

I hope this helps some.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 AM
SOA

College: FIU

As a career changer looking for an entry level position I have been offered to interview for an underwriting analyst position. Would this help me get an actuarial position?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:25 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone4Tuna View Post
As a career changer looking for an entry level position I have been offered to interview for an underwriting analyst position. Would this help me get an actuarial position?
If you don't currently work in the insurance industry, yes.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:29 AM
CAS

Quote:
Depends if the company is hiring EL actuaries in the future. Can it help you get a foot in the door, yes. Will it lead to an actuarial job,
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM
SOA AAA

A solid maybe. Can't possibly hurt, as you can talk up your exams passed and mingle with the actuaries at lunch.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
I feel like a broken record for saying this so many times on this forum, but I'll give it a shot again...

If you're a career changer, why are you so set on actuarial? If you're having trouble getting an actuarial job, it can't hurt to look at other quantitative/finance professions. Actuary is a good job, but there are lots of good jobs out there.

ETA: I say this because I'm of the opinion that taking one EL job for the sole purpose of a stepping stone into another EL job should be pretty low on your options list.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:05 PM
CAS

sometimes people hop between the two

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:39 PM
SOA

College: school of hard knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsnyder36 View Post
Has the job market changed much? I was reading posts from a few years back saying that the rate of new entrants was outpacing the rate of new openings, is that still the case?

I do (think I) interview well, and I can network well too, but networking is like hanging out with the in-laws to me. Something that tests my resolve.
That's what i'm worried about too.