Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I would be Jon snow , I i had to choose.
got a thing for red heads, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Maybe, if there were some magical 4th dimension where they did their work in hypercubicles. Otherwise, I don't see them.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Everyone concerned with the effects of automation should read the book "The Second Machine Age".

In it they tell the story of deep blue, the computer that was unbeatable by any human.

So for many years no human could straight up beat the computer program. Until somebody decided to pair a good chess player with a mediocre computer. The combination easily beat the best computer simulation. Kind of a random story, but my point is that automation and computers open up a new realm of possibility for those who can wield them.

A decent human + good software > the best software in the world. Technology creates more opportunity than it destroys.
It creates opportunities for those who are highly skilled. The average Joe will be relegated to the sidelines.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Clearly you know nothing
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Clearly you know nothing
DAMMIT
Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I'd be that weird crippled kid who controls animals. I sense good things in his future.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
It creates opportunities for those who are highly skilled. The average Joe will be relegated to the sidelines.
I don't know why I see journalists treating the threat of automation as some kind of new phenomenon, It's always been there throughout history and those who are at the forefront of automation are the ones who reap the benefits, Nothing has changed in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:27 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
I don't know why I see journalists treating the threat of automation as some kind of new phenomenon, It's always been there throughout history and those who are at the forefront of automation are the ones who reap the benefits, Nothing has changed in that regard.
" Now reporting, Abednadir."
" Thanks John. In today's news report we are observing the world unfold in a predictable manner. Dating from the time of antiquity most people are plebeians while the intellectuals who hold power reap the rewards by using dumb lazy people who are basically drones. Including most of you watching this news broadcast."
" Thanks Abed. In other news, suicide rates have tripled..."

Quote:
Maybe, if there were some magical 4th dimension where they did their work in hypercubicles. Otherwise, I don't see them.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:31 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Modern agriculture put hunters out of business. Guns put swordsmen out of business. The printing press put scribes out of business. Automobiles put horse carriage manufacturers out of business. People need to pay attention on what's going on in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
It is estimated that around 50% of the jobs in America will be automated and eliminated over the next 20 years.
Was this estimate produced in the year 1900? Or 1920? 1950, 1970, 1990?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:54 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Modern agriculture put hunters out of business. Guns put swordsmen out of business. The printing press put scribes out of business. Automobiles put horse carriage manufacturers out of business. People need to pay attention on what's going on in the market.
So once our robotic overlords take over, what will the unskilled plebs be left doing? Maybe we'll become communist and everyone will be fed even if they aren't useful. It's either that or we see cities that were once thriving become ghettos with a giant walled community in the middle with the rich people while all of the actuaries and engineers on the outside plot their attacks to get their spoils.

Oh, that's it! In the year 2100 the top occupation won't be "actuary" it'll be "criminal mastermind"

Quote: