Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Non-Actuary

Maybe OP should open a restaurant with automated ordering. Then OP can benefit from the new technology, and put some competition into that market.

Competition drives prices down, which drives wages down, but you can afford the lower prices with the lower wages. I'm not worrying.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 AM

Everyone could work a lot less now if they wanted to - lots of bullshit "make work" type of jobs out there
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 AM
SOA

Studying for C

I mean I agree with everyone saying it will deepen wealth disparity. Those who are doing the automating or who already control large amounts of investable capital will benefit greatly from these changes. They will become wealthier while prices go down and economic surplus increases.

However for those without the skills necessary to adapt, they will become poorer as prices fall (but who knows if the drops will be equivalent).

It just makes me want to learn programming even more since I have pretty much just put my toes in the water as far as that knowledge goes.

Even then, I just hope that I will be diligent enough with my earnings in the first 20-30 years of my career so that even if progress outpaces my abilities I will have enough capital to be one of the benefactors of the changes.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

this guy puts the fun in kimjongfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Maybe, if there were some magical 4th dimension where they did their work in hypercubicles. Otherwise, I don't see them.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
The solution will be to cut the work week to 30 hours (maybe less). Even a lot of mainstream economists are saying that's what needs to happen. There just isn't enough work to give everyone a 40-hour/week job anymore.
You're not making any sense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lump_of_labour_fallacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Non-Actuary

College: American Academy of Art - Dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Everyone could work a lot less now if they wanted to - lots of bullshit "make work" type of jobs out there
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Non-Actuary

College: American Academy of Art - Dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
The solution will be to cut the work week to 30 hours (maybe less). Even a lot of mainstream economists are saying that's what needs to happen. There just isn't enough work to give everyone a 40-hour/week job anymore.
We could have done this 40 years ago. Americans don't tend to value free time as much as much as they value having the next consumer bauble.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:59 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: happy hour special

Half of my job is learning crap. I probably "work work" <20 hours (this includes writing documentation...so others can spend their work time learning) and spend the rest figuring stuff out. Then I go home and study for exams.

Seems like the natural progression with so much knowledge creation is for more and more of the 40 hour workweek to be replaced with learning. If you think the future is 10 hour workweeks where you spend the rest of your time drinking and hanging out, you're probably wrong.

Spoiler:
Posting on the AO is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Non-Actuary

If you want to ration work hours, you need to remember that some people need to make more money to have fun than others do. Some people of have the luxury of inexpensive fun activities, and others need to compensate or fix something first.

What if someone who does not look that good naturally wants to compensate by purchasing nice looking cloths, but can't afford them while working 30 hours per week? I think giving everyone the same income would only mean that people dealt worse cards genetically are prevented from improving their lot.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:16 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: happy hour special

Or I'd rather work hard to have cool stuff. What's the point of sitting at home, or playing outside in rundown fields?

I'll pay for my $200/mo gym to get Eucalyptus towels and take cabs to get massages after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary