Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningCollegeStudent View Post
If you want to ration work hours, you need to remember that some people need to make more money to have fun than others do. Some people of have the luxury of inexpensive fun activities, and others need to compensate or fix something first.

What if someone who does not look that good naturally wants to compensate by purchasing nice looking cloths, but can't afford them while working 30 hours per week? I think giving everyone the same income would only mean that people dealt worse cards genetically are prevented from improving their lot.
I doubt you would see a substantial improvement in income equality or employment levels if people cut their work hours. Demand drives employment. Cutting hours reduces income which in turns reduces the demand for goods and services which in turn reduces the demand for labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningCollegeStudent View Post
What if someone who does not look that good naturally wants to compensate by purchasing nice looking cloths, but can't afford them while working 30 hours per week? I think giving everyone the same income would only mean that people dealt worse cards genetically are prevented from improving their lot.
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish. There's something that already exists that's called part-time employment. If you want to work a 30 hour a week job instead of a 40 hour a week job, no one is going to stop you. Are you fine earning 75% of what you normally earn in exchange for 10 extra hours of leisure each week? If so, just do it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I don't know why I see journalists treating the threat of automation as some kind of new phenomenon, It's always been there throughout history and those who are at the forefront of automation are the ones who reap the benefits, Nothing has changed in that regard.
Capital I or gtfo
Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

for all those people advocating pursuing more technical skills I say do not neglect the soft skills which will become more important if you are indeed worried about automation. machines are much better at the technical, but not so good at interpreting the information. the better you are at interpreting information and using it in novel ways to help draw conclusions, the more useful you will be.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
CAS

Studying for freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
for all those people advocating pursuing more technical skills I say do not neglect the soft skills which will become more important if you are indeed worried about automation. machines are much better at the technical, but not so good at interpreting the information. the better you are at interpreting information and using it in novel ways to help draw conclusions, the more useful you will be.
But how will the machines know what to do if no one programs them?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazat View Post
But how will the machines know what to do if no one programs them?
Lots of jobs today are basically shooting the ish. A handful of PhDs will program the automation, and it'll take a corporation to analyze/control the results. All that analysis and control will just be people talking over perpetual lunches/conferences or meeting to sell each other more controls and analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
CAS

Studying for freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
#1 occupation of 2100 - Sex Robot Tester
So you want to be robot tester and make 4 to 5 thousand dollars a day? Take a seat on my black leather couch while I adjust my camera.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
Lots of jobs today are basically shooting the ish. A handful of PhDs will program the automation, and it'll take a corporation to analyze/control the results. All that analysis and control will just be people talking over perpetual lunches/conferences or meeting to sell each other more controls and real analysis.
IFYP
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Non-Actuary

College: American Academy of Art - Dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish. There's something that already exists that's called part-time employment. If you want to work a 30 hour a week job instead of a 40 hour a week job, no one is going to stop you. Are you fine earning 75% of what you normally earn in exchange for 10 extra hours of leisure each week? If so, just do it already.
Does part-time actuarial employment actually exist?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Non-Actuary

College: American Academy of Art - Dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
IFYP