Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
That was a good read. Thanks.
Quote:
Tell me the story of your career. Tell me what inspired you to become a Software Engineer. Tell me what made you fall in love with it. Tell me a story of where it tested you and where it rewarded you. Tell me the story of your finest moment in this chapter of your career.
so this dude claims that it's hard to get the truth and is literally begging for good stories that can't be verified. This is literally the perfect way to get fooled by a bullshit artist.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Because ultimately those companies only truly care about results. You could probably test as a sociopath and work at google if you were competent enough.

Most other companies do not operate like that. They don't need supreme competence. They need someone who they can work with, who shows they are flexible and can handle the work. And usually, being able to work with people causes issues to arise, so you also want a candidate with a high enough emotional IQ that they can deal with that as well.
Agree with this. Nothing wrong with how MS and Google interview, because it works for what they need. But very small-minded to act as if that's the one correct way of interviewing, or that using such techniques is what makes those companies a particular "class" or whatever. They use interview techniques that fit what they need.

MSF, agree with your point, but there's still value in the questions, you're somewhat hitting on the reason why I wanted to discuss the article in the first place. But don't really have time to write what I want to, so will come back to. Welcome other comments as I think there's a lot here to discuss.

Westley's career tools:
Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Oh, I'm good at telling stories....
Old 02-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

(well, we'll see what the readers think when the actuarial speculative fiction entries come out)