Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC or S? PM advice pls
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
If you ask me what my greatest weakness is, I will not like you. Don't do that. pls.
Or go with the Spider-Man answer. "Small knives!"

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:17 AM
SOA

College: '09 grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
What do you think your greatest strengths are as a manager?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott
Why don't I tell you what my greatest weaknesses are? I work too hard. I care too much. And sometimes I can be too invested in my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Okay. And your strengths?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott
Well, my weaknesses are actually... strengths.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
If you ask me what my greatest weakness is, I will not like you. Don't do that. pls.
For EL it is easy, "I'm EL"
Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM
SOA

In my opinion, the most important part of an interview is the questions the candidate has for me, the interviewer.

That's probably overstated a bit, because obviously a candidate can screw up the interview so badly that I really don't care if they have the best questions in the world.

But here's where I'm coming from: our field is very competitive. We get all these great candidates, and it often comes down to minor preferences between the best candidates as to who gets the job, especially for internships and entry level.

The people who really set themselves apart (for me, anyway) are the ones who ask good questions. And they don't have to be "fancy" questions. Like, you can tell certain candidates who are trying too hard, and they're hoping to impress with a question like, "So, what did you think about your level of reserves at end of FY2015?"

No, the people who impress me are the ones who want to really know what a day in the life is like in my office. They are trying to figure out the "feel" of my company versus other places where they're applying. They want to know if their skills will be put to use in interesting ways. Those are the people who get my attention, because someone who really cares about those kinds of things generally is going to be:

* proactive in their day-to-day work
* focused on the "big picture" and not just the task in front of them
* engaged socially with others in the office (I don't care if they go to after-hour parties, but I do want them to generally click with people)
Old 09-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Now every candidate (well every one who follows Westley) will be asking the interviewer about what a typical day in that office is like.

Please, candidates, don't ask a question because you think it's expected. Only ask a question if there is something you really want to know. You may want to know it for no other reason than deciding whether you want the job on offer. But if you don't care about the answer to your question, you're not fooling anybody.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 PM
SOA AAA

"Tell me about a time when you didn't want to interview someone and how you resolved it."
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:59 PM
CAS

celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question
Old 09-23-2016, 04:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question
RN
Old 09-23-2016, 04:12 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

General question - sort of related - how do you approach candidates that appear to 'job hop'? Or have <1yr stint somewhere? Do you ask them about it, and how would you respond in the opposite position?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
In my opinion, the most important part of an interview is the questions the candidate has for me, the interviewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Please, candidates, don't ask a question because you think it's expected.
Agree and disagree with both of these posts.

First, for myself, I do NOT care if you have questions or not. As JMO and Egghead both state, the worst is having questions and they are purely of the form "I'm supposed to ask questions, so here's a question that I think I'm supposed to ask"; I wish I could remember some of the bad questions I've been asked, but I've blacked them out; Egghead gave a good example. Horrible. Excluding that, I'm fine if you have questions and fine if you don't.

I'm using my questions to evaluate you, and you can ask questions to evaluate me (or my company). Agree with Egghead that your questions can tell me a lot about you, and that may matter, but I'd say that I can get the info I need by asking you questions; so, while I think Egghead is using a smart process in using candidates' questions to evaluate them, that's not the process I use. If you've had other interviews or have done other research and already have the answers you need, then I'm fine with that - "no, I've gotten all my questions answered, people have been really forthcoming and informative, it's great, I may send you a follow-up email if I think of anything later but right now I'm feeling good about the info I've gotten" - OK!

So, for myself, I'm fine if a candidate doesn't have questions, but usually advise candidates to ask questions, because it is expected by some (most?) interviewers, and can definitely be perceived as lack of interest if you don't have any.

Not to get all meta, but to try to put together Egghead's and JMO's posts, here's something to consider: if you don't have any questions, why don't you? Do you really have answers to everything you want to know? Really?
Name:  Sethh Amy Really.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  8.5 KB

I can't say that I've ever felt like I had all the information I want/need. I can say that I've felt like I didn't want to ask things because it might be uncomfortable or whatever (always a mistake, and I've gotten over this). I can say that I've had times I wanted to ask something and didn't know how to articulate it, or questioned how it would be received (these have gone away as I learned how the interview game works). But I can't say that I've ever felt like I didn't actually have any questions. So, if you have, maybe examine that. You're making plans to spend 40 hours/week for the next few years at this location, with these people, do you really have all the information you need to feel comfortable about that, and there's nothing else to ask? Seems far-fetched.

If somebody wants to step up and say "I've been there", would be interested in hearing from them. Might be a chance for us both to expand the conversation, if anybody wants to raise a hand?