Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Selective quoting . . . and missing the most important part at that.
I think CS needs a Snickers.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 01-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
I think CS needs a Snickers.
He is starting to look like Betty White . . .

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
OP's is different. Other noncompetes say that you can't work for a competitor for a specified amount of time.
It also says stuff about not being able to do certain work for competitors. I just didn't want to get too specific.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

Is OP referring to non-solicitation agreement? ....which you can not poach former employer's talents. I can deal/live with this.

I certainly can't deal with non-compete agreements, unless it's a director or VP job which I will usually be paid 1 year of salary under most situations.

When is the good time to ask if there's such a clause? During job offer notification? I found it's usually the small companies doing crazy things like this.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
Is OP referring to non-solicitation agreement? ....which you can not poach former employer's talents. I can deal/live with this.

I certainly can't deal with non-compete agreements, unless it's a director or VP job which I will usually be paid 1 year of salary under most situations.

When is the good time to ask if there's such a clause? During job offer notification? I found it's usually the small companies doing crazy things like this.
big and small companies do this. time to ask is at time of offer. in many states (most? all?) they aren't enforceable unless you are given consideration for forfeiting/restricting your employment opportunities. So that's why they come at hiring point - you getting the job is usually considered "consideration". If they ask everyone already employed to sign them, they have to give you some cash (keeping your job isn't "consideration" in what I've been told).

So, yes, ask about it when you are being hired. Find out how inflexible they are (I predict they are inflexible and that them paying you a year of salary for "garden leave" isn't common in the US.)

YMMV

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

At my current company, only directors and above need to sign non-compete. They are very reasonable, only 4-5 companies within a year, you get a year of pay after termination (except voluntary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
So, yes, ask about it when you are being hired. Find out how inflexible they are (I predict they are inflexible and that them paying you a year of salary for "garden leave" isn't common in the US.)
YMMV
Thanks, in fact I'll ask up front as the first thing when offered the job and if there's one, I'll have to read it carefully and even consult lawyer if needed before accepting the offer. Some companies you can negotiate limiting the scope.

I am quite OK if they're only limiting direct competitors within 6 months - 1 year. Let's say a carrier in TX limiting companies in TX,AR,OK, and NM. I am usually open geographically for new jobs (we need to be flexible geographically as we move up the corporate ladder), anything beyond that without "garden leave" I would simply to tell them kiss my ....

Last edited by neofan; 02-13-2017 at 03:11 AM..
Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
At my current company, only directors and above need to sign non-compete. They are very reasonable, only 4-5 companies within a year, you get a year of pay after termination (except voluntary).

Thanks, in fact I'll ask up front as the first thing when offered the job and if there's one, I'll have to read it carefully and even consult lawyer if needed before accepting the offer. Some companies you can negotiate limiting the scope.

I am quite OK if they're only limiting direct competitors within 6 months - 1 year. Let's say a carrier in TX limiting companies in TX,AR,OK, and NM. I am usually open geographically for new jobs (we need to be flexible geographically as we move up the corporate ladder), anything beyond that without "garden leave" I would simply to tell them kiss my ....
The majority I have seen are more in the Consulting/Broking space and not traditional re/insurance jobs. They are also of the variety that you can go work for a competitor, but you just can't try and take your old clients with you for a specified time period.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

I know of at least one insurance company where they were sticklers on it bc there was an arch-nemesis competitor company in town. so not always just reinsurance and consulting. specific cases obv vary.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.