Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 01-24-2017, 11:09 PM
CAS SOA

Default What is health consulting like?

Title says it all. I've always heard that consulting was a lot of hours and little time for studying, much less anything else. While I know there is some exaggeration there, is consulting pretty much the same across disciplines?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

It really differs depending on firm, location, manager, clients, etc.

Really tough to generalize.

The only thing everyone agrees on is that consulting pays more than insurance and lots of opportunity in healthcare consulting with the new Presidency.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Last edited by ShivamS; 01-24-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 PM
SOA

Depends on the type of consulting firm.

If it's benefits consulting (i.e. WTW, Mercer, Aon Hewitt), you would largely consult for employers trying to figure out what kind of health plans they should offer to their employees based off their specific needs, then setting prices/proposals for them.

Other health consulting firms would consult for health insurers, like Milliman, to help them with Medicare bids or offer various other services. Basically, when insurers don't have the manpower to hire their own staff to handle the work, they outsource it to consultants. I'm sure there are other consulting services that would probably consult for hospitals or whatever. There are consultants for just about everything.

Generally, how consulting would differ from insurance is that your job revolves around clients, which bring in revenue for the consultancy. There's typically much higher pressure to meet deadlines to retain clients and to keep them happy, which would explain the longer hours and busier seasons as a whole. You're likely to be assigned to multiple projects at once, with differing clients, so you'll need to be able to juggle around many different small tasks versus zooming in one or two very complex projects at an insurer.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Benefits consulting -can- be very non-technical. I know actuaries that are basically generalists with a slight computational flare. I'm also in benefits consulting, but I'm more involved in deeper technical initiatives and doing review of rate and reserve setting for large/jumbo clients.

Can be great experience. Not every consultant is a hyper extroverted suit (although it helps). It can be very chaotic and weirdly competitive. Billing hours is a little annoying.

Please forgive unintended sarcasm
Old 01-25-2017, 02:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM612 View Post
Depends on the type of consulting firm.

If it's benefits consulting (i.e. WTW, Mercer, Aon Hewitt), you would largely consult for employers trying to figure out what kind of health plans they should offer to their employees based off their specific needs, then setting prices/proposals for them.

Other health consulting firms would consult for health insurers, like Milliman, to help them with Medicare bids or offer various other services. Basically, when insurers don't have the manpower to hire their own staff to handle the work, they outsource it to consultants. I'm sure there are other consulting services that would probably consult for hospitals or whatever. There are consultants for just about everything.

Generally, how consulting would differ from insurance is that your job revolves around clients, which bring in revenue for the consultancy. There's typically much higher pressure to meet deadlines to retain clients and to keep them happy, which would explain the longer hours and busier seasons as a whole. You're likely to be assigned to multiple projects at once, with differing clients, so you'll need to be able to juggle around many different small tasks versus zooming in one or two very complex projects at an insurer.
This is in line with my experience. I was in health benefits consulting. At the time, employers were very concerned about their employee cost share. Also many were looking at the attractively cheep HSA plans to replace rich PPOs. IIRC, HSA plans were about 1/2 the cost of a rich PPO to the ER.

was interesting to see how each ER looked at benefits. Each one had their own weird way of justifying plan changes. one place was was afraid to change their PPO deductible from $100 to $300, another had like 6 different levels of grandfathered plans.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 AM
CAS SOA

Thanks for the feedback. Some of it actually sounds like what I've experienced at my current employer even though we are basically an insurance company.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM612 View Post
Other health consulting firms would consult for health insurers, like Milliman, to help them with Medicare bids or offer various other services. Basically, when insurers don't have the manpower to hire their own staff to handle the work, they outsource it to consultants.
Even some that do have the manpower have consultants either review their bid or build a whole new bid. Which can be outrageously expensive, but still nothing remotely as expensive as a mistake.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
This is in line with my experience. I was in health benefits consulting. At the time, employers were very concerned about their employee cost share. Also many were looking at the attractively cheep HSA plans to replace rich PPOs. IIRC, HSA plans were about 1/2 the cost of a rich PPO to the ER.

was interesting to see how each ER looked at benefits. Each one had their own weird way of justifying plan changes. one place was was afraid to change their PPO deductible from $100 to $300, another had like 6 different levels of grandfathered plans.
It gets interesting, particularly when you start setting strategy around mergers or when a company is in a cost-cutting crisis, where they start first.

Now, when they start having actuaries deal with eligibility vendors and ID cards... that's a little silly.

Please forgive unintended sarcasm
Old 02-16-2017, 11:59 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

Another question regarding consulting.

At carriers, managers are not expected to do anything other than managing. At consulting firms, are they more flexible in terms of roles (no finite line between managers and professionals)? For example, a principal may have to dive in to get some work done (not really true but just assuming) if it means meeting the goals and deadlines.

Last edited by neofan; 02-16-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
Another question regarding consulting.

At carriers, managers are not expected to do anything other than managing.
Based on my experience at two different carriers, this is definitely untrue.