Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

My first year was slightly disappointing and left a lot to be desired. I felt like there was a huge gap in what I could have learned and experienced as far as core actuarial work or even actuarial software. I tried to ask questions on things I didn't know or ask for more interesting work, even if it were to just copy or mimic what was already done by others. That never really worked out too well for me.

When I finally got to my fellowship exam material, it was like a godsend in that I finally started to get what was going on a deeper level. But everyone is different.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Binghamton University, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeContingent View Post
My first year was slightly disappointing and left a lot to be desired. I felt like there was a huge gap in what I could have learned and experienced as far as core actuarial work or even actuarial software. I tried to ask questions on things I didn't know or ask for more interesting work, even if it were to just copy or mimic what was already done by others. That never really worked out too well for me.

When I finally got to my fellowship exam material, it was like a godsend in that I finally started to get what was going on a deeper level. But everyone is different.
At my current position I do less traditional actuarial work. I am pricing an investment product since it is an asset management firm. I have not done anything like reserving or premium creating. That is what bugs me out.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
I would say this is typical anywhere for entry level
news to me

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7

My first 6 months I found my job interesting and spent a lot of time figuring out how processes worked, learning basic insurance terminology and concepts, getting good at Excel, Access, learning some VBA. I felt like I was learning a lot and enjoyed my job. I started to become familiar with how to work in a business setting - getting over small things like being afraid to answer the phone when it was someone from another department, or being able to email higher ups without having someone proofread my email first, how to get comfortable making office chit chat and network.

Next 6 months I realized I was doing repetitive grunt work and became bored out of my mind and frustrated with the fact that I was doing tedious work and not learning much.

The following 6 months (so this is now after a year) is when I learned to be curious, ask questions, be innovative, do my job well, and prove myself ready for a more interesting role. That was also around the time when I got a good grasp of how my job fit into the larger machine of our organization and really understood what I was contributing, and also got a better understanding of what other departments did, how they related to my job, what my longer term goals were, etc.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:39 PM
SOA

Im curious, if you don't mind sharing, how did your performance reviews go for the first 1.5 years on the job considering you changed a lot in terms of work quality, skills, and maybe even work ethic?

Were you properly reviewed and compensated for your increased desire to do more interesting and better work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
My first 6 months I found my job interesting and spent a lot of time figuring out how processes worked, learning basic insurance terminology and concepts, getting good at Excel, Access, learning some VBA. I felt like I was learning a lot and enjoyed my job. I started to become familiar with how to work in a business setting - getting over small things like being afraid to answer the phone when it was someone from another department, or being able to email higher ups without having someone proofread my email first, how to get comfortable making office chit chat and network.

Next 6 months I realized I was doing repetitive grunt work and became bored out of my mind and frustrated with the fact that I was doing tedious work and not learning much.

The following 6 months (so this is now after a year) is when I learned to be curious, ask questions, be innovative, do my job well, and prove myself ready for a more interesting role. That was also around the time when I got a good grasp of how my job fit into the larger machine of our organization and really understood what I was contributing, and also got a better understanding of what other departments did, how they related to my job, what my longer term goals were, etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
Im curious, if you don't mind sharing, how did your performance reviews go for the first 1.5 years on the job considering you changed a lot in terms of work quality, skills, and maybe even work ethic?

Were you properly reviewed and compensated for your increased desire to do more interesting and better work?
Get performance reviews annually so only one in that time.

First year got equivalent of meets expectations and an above average raise/bonus.

Second year got something like exceeds expectations but raise/bonus was lower. (This was discouraging and after that point went through a period of trying less hard at work.)

A few years down the line I was driven to leave partially because I didn't feel like i was properly compensated. But once I started understanding how my job fit in to the larger organization, got curious and asked lots of questions, etc. I did learn a ton more and become a better actuary and get more interesting projects.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Not typical
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n27 View Post
So far I have had about 4 hours of work a day on average. I feel so much guilt tbh. I am in a start-up and the first actuarial student.
At a big multinational you usually have 7+/day

Count yourself lucky
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Maybe in the 'po

No chance in a big city
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Binghamton University, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Maybe in the 'po

No chance in a big city
I have seen this a few times what is "the 'po"