Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

lack of geographic and industry diversity are the biggest downsides, imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:42 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
lack of geographic and industry diversity are the biggest downsides, imo
What type of people work in the actuarial industry when you say lack of diversity? Is everyone white?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
What type of people work in the actuarial industry when you say lack of diversity? Is everyone white?
no there are also some Chinese

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
I'm not sure if this is a joke, but if it isn't - what I meant was that if you want to be an actuary, you better enjoy working with insurance and insurance accessories.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 PM

I think the point was "lack of... industry diversity". Or at least, that's a big downside IMO.

Basically, actuaries work in, consult to, advise, and deal with other problems in the insurance industry. Contrast with an accountant that can work in the insurance, or can "specialize" in financials (including insurance, banks, and investment management) or be a generalist, working in financials, entertainment, etc. Similar for law, consulting, IT, etc - all have benefits to specialization (and most people eventually specialize), but they are very broad to start and can stay that way if they want.

ETA: :ninja:
Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a joke, but if it isn't - what I meant was that if you want to be an actuary, you better enjoy working with insurance and insurance accessories.
lol it wasnt a joke... oops
Old 02-10-2017, 04:22 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Yeah actuaries are very specific to insurance industry. But, good thing is that companies like Uber and Google are starting to hire some actuaries. I have no clue what actuaries do there. But, probably a little different from what actuaries do at insurers.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Yeah actuaries are very specific to insurance industry. But, good thing is that companies like Uber and Google are starting to hire some actuaries. I have no clue what actuaries do there. But, probably a little different from what actuaries do at insurers.
I know an actuary who works at Google (hi ). I was told they have a captive that needs actuarial work done.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2017, 04:44 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Drive their Honda Civics?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

Another downside I need to point out.

Besides geographic limitation, this is a small industry, if you burn bridge somewhere and most people don't like you, chances are you may have hard time finding another suitable job.