Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,050
Default

Yeah, pretty much exactly the opposite. Tulsa and Fargo, or smaller than that.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Bobby Stoker Bobby Stoker is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
"Hundreds", the British word for a thousand.
Lol
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:33 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
What is the Po? I keep seeing that reference here, but never quite understood the context. I used to think it was high cost of living, big cities (like NYC, SFO, etc), but judging by your post, that doesnt make sense.
Actually, as mentioned above, the po is just the opposite. Low cost of living, not the biggest cities. (Po is short for "where poor people live.")
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:38 PM
DansGinger DansGinger is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Actually, as mentioned above, the po is just the opposite. Low cost of living, not the biggest cities. (Po is short for "where poor people live.")
do most people on this forum live in the po?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Whoaminoneofyourbusiness's Avatar
Whoaminoneofyourbusiness Whoaminoneofyourbusiness is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 38
Default

Personally I think it's still worth going into if you don't have any of the red flags (international, sub 3.5 GPA or other mediocre credentials, mediocre social or interview skills, etc.). If you have connections or you're particularly good at something maybe you can try to ignore or work on a flag, but that's suboptimal.

It just seems high risk, relatively low reward if you can't check all the boxes. I went to grad school for a semester before landing a job and there were so many people that almost had their ASA, had a near 4.0 GPA, and other great credentials and were international and/or socially awkward, and because of that they couldn't land an internship. At that point they're obviously motivated, they'd just be better cutting their losses and find something else.
__________________
P FM MLC C MFE

VEE Econ VEE Stat VEE Finance
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,372
Default

Sub 3.5 GPA is a red flag?
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,050
Default

Not sure if I agree with that or not, but curious what you would recommend to somebody with a red flag and no connections or whatever.

So, if actuarial is high risk, low reward, is there another career path that has a better reward/risk tradeoff for a person with a 3.0 GPA or mediocre interview skills.

If there's a better path for such people to hit high rewards with low risk, then of course I would say that's the smart thing to do, but not sure what that is.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Whoaminoneofyourbusiness's Avatar
Whoaminoneofyourbusiness Whoaminoneofyourbusiness is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest
Posts: 38
Default

Probably 3.0 in hindsight, but I applied to lots of places that required 3.5 last year.
__________________
P FM MLC C MFE

VEE Econ VEE Stat VEE Finance
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 45,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
What is the Po? I keep seeing that reference here, but never quite understood the context. I used to think it was high cost of living, big cities (like NYC, SFO, etc), but judging by your post, that doesnt make sense.
let me Wikipedia that for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podunk
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:53 PM
DarthActuarialVader DarthActuarialVader is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NYC
Studying for Exam 4/C
College: Some Prestigious College
Favorite beer: Samuel Adams
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
Personally I think it's still worth going into if you don't have any of the red flags (international, sub 3.5 GPA or other mediocre credentials, mediocre social or interview skills, etc.). If you have connections or you're particularly good at something maybe you can try to ignore or work on a flag, but that's suboptimal.

It just seems high risk, relatively low reward if you can't check all the boxes. I went to grad school for a semester before landing a job and there were so many people that almost had their ASA, had a near 4.0 GPA, and other great credentials and were international and/or socially awkward, and because of that they couldn't land an internship. At that point they're obviously motivated, they'd just be better cutting their losses and find something else.
This right here. 100% agree.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.35194 seconds with 9 queries