Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

My first thought is - why? Is your life so dull and meaningless that you'd rather fill the void with work? Doesn't one six figure job satiate your financial needs?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 AM
SOA AAA

I don't remember when I first had to start disclosing other "involvements", either paid or unpaid, but lying on those HR things is grounds for termination. I'll ask the students here if they have to fill out conflict of interest surveys.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
Sure, if you work hard. But what happens when you have two 9:00 meetings that both companies want you to Skype in to?

I think it's fine ethically, but maybe not logistically.
Consultants run into that problem all the time when multiple clients want meetings at the same time. You just have to reschedule one of the meetings. If neither one can be rescheduled, you just have to miss one of them and catch up with the folks afterward. Logistically, not too big of a deal unless it's always happening, and even then, pretty easily avoided with enough pre-planning.

As a serious answer though, the companies wouldn't like that at all if the second job was anything remotely related to the actuarial job. Too much potential for conflict of interest, and most HR departments specifically prohibit it with only a handful of exceptions. Exceptions are usually things completely unrelated to the first job. For instance, I once knew an actuary that sold beer at the local baseball stadium after he got off work. The company was fine with that arrangement. Seemed like a perfect balance, to be honest. He was a huge baseball fan, got paid to be in the stadium and watch a little bit of the game, got a workout lugging the beer up and down the stands, and earned some cash on the side. That's way less than a full time job though.

80 hour weeks will kill you. I've done them a handful of times in my career. You can keep up that pace for maybe a month or so. Beyond that, you're completely beaten down and hating life. Also, every job has busier periods out there. If the 40 balloons to 60 one week (not at all impossible), all of a sudden, you're looking at 100 hours for the week even if the other job is steady state.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM
CAS

I imagine if I had $1MM in debt, that I'd be the kind of guy that could make that happen.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
My first thought is - why? Is your life so dull and meaningless that you'd rather fill the void with work? Doesn't one six figure job satiate your financial needs?
- If you work very efficiently, are multitasking, and are organized, you can very easily do 40 hours of work in 30 hours. So at least one of the jobs can very well by <40 hours.

- If you're telecommuting, you're saving a bunch of time that would have otherwise gone to commute.

- You can do lunch at home so you're saving that half hour to one hour that would have gone to eating lunch outside at office.

- Outsource repetitive, easy, time consuming tasks, and save a bunch of time there.

- Imagine the experience you'll be gaining working two jobs at the same time.

I'm not saying its easy, just throwing some points out there.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

Get a hobby, lol
Old 02-13-2017, 12:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Get a hobby, lol
lol say that to corporate executives, truck drivers, power plant workers, loan officers, doctors and a vast number of managers in many fields
Old 02-13-2017, 12:36 PM
SOA

My point is, hours is probably not the craziest aspect of this. Its more about the conflict of interest, and the possibility of losing both the jobs if both of them find out and are not happy about it.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:08 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7

Within actuarial, it's a small world.

Even things like, say you go to a CAS meeting planning to get continuing ed credit and people from both companies show up who know you.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Shiner Bock

If both employers report data to employment verification companies such as The Work Number, future companies might be able to see overlapping employment dates when verifying employment.