Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphan84 View Post
More than switching jobs, it's thinking about just switching careers. Any insights on that from you all that switched careers would be appreciated. Nonlnear?
I got my FSA and then changed careers. I don't think there's a way you know it's time to switch careers, I just think there are some opportunities out there that you can't pass up.

Switching careers out of actuarial work was a real mixed bag for me, though it's landing on the positive side. I enjoy the work I do now much more, and I feel more engaged in the project I'm on than anything I did in insurance. But I also work harder for (very slightly) less money (prob catch up by 2 years into the new role). I worked really hard for my FSA, and I miss the respect that garnered me. I've managed to claw some of it back, but it's a long process that I'm not enjoying going through again.

I think I made the right choice, but that's partly because of what a unique opportunity it is. I wouldn't advise switching careers because you your job isn't working out for you; it needs to be something special.

JMO, as she says.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
This post is crap
That is a very famous industry norm in finance, investments, banking, wall street, and large metropolitans.

Last edited by Moderator1; 02-16-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
What if you have to leave for family reasons? Do you think employers would take that into consideration?
even with family reasons try to get into a new area if you're not moving up.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

When the reponse to questions like "This is very inefficient and clunky. Why do we do things this way?" is consistently "Because we have always done it this way".

I can only take so much of that. Insurance companies should always be lookong to evolve and improve things. When too much dead wood accumulates things can get horribly clogged up, and at that time you know it is time to go.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 AM

Studying for CFA
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post
Don't let anyone fool you about the dangers of job hopping. If you keep getting hired, job hopping isn't hurting you.
I like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I got my FSA and then changed careers. I don't think there's a way you know it's time to switch careers, I just think there are some opportunities out there that you can't pass up.

Switching careers out of actuarial work was a real mixed bag for me, though it's landing on the positive side. I enjoy the work I do now much more, and I feel more engaged in the project I'm on than anything I did in insurance. But I also work harder for (very slightly) less money (prob catch up by 2 years into the new role). I worked really hard for my FSA, and I miss the respect that garnered me. I've managed to claw some of it back, but it's a long process that I'm not enjoying going through again.

I think I made the right choice, but that's partly because of what a unique opportunity it is. I wouldn't advise switching careers because you your job isn't working out for you; it needs to be something special.

JMO, as she says.
Actuaries without borders!

-Riley
Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
duke, where u at
Probably somewhere different than he was when you asked this.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
When the reponse to questions like "This is very inefficient and clunky. Why do we do things this way?" is consistently "Because we have always done it this way".

I can only take so much of that. Insurance companies should always be lookong to evolve and improve things. When too much dead wood accumulates things can get horribly clogged up, and at that time you know it is time to go.

I was literally told this during my first job. Couldn't believe it when I heard it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphan84 View Post
I appreciate the responses and everyone keeping this thread on track.

In this hypothetical scenario, it's 3 years with ASA.

More than switching jobs, it's thinking about just switching careers. Any insights on that from you all that switched careers would be appreciated. Nonlnear?
Talk to people in the other field, get to know them, get to really know what they do day in day, learn as much as you can about the other career before pulling the trigger.

Grass always seems greener, and it may well be, but, IMO that's a fairly big decision so you want to make it with as much information as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Koi View Post
The wine is so bad that homeless alcoholics are reducing their consumption? Am I reading that right?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM
SOA

here's a frame which might be helpful.

your job is not your job. your job is to find a better job.

leaving a lame job/career is liberating. it takes immense amounts of courage.

My Amazon Ebook - Top Secrets to Pass the Preliminary Exams

Trump Tweet Poetry

LinkedIN
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post

I was literally told this during my first job. Couldn't believe it when I heard it.
Sometimes that is the answer, though, and the one giving the answer may (or may not) realize just how inadequate an answer that is. The real tell is the attitude that accompanies it.

The red flag should be if they say it in a way that's meant to end discussion, as in, 'that's the way we've always done it [ and we always will. Harrumph!]'

If instead they follow with, 'that's the way we've always done it, but I'm open to improvements - you got some ideas?' - well, that's a different story.