Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Locrian Locrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphan84 View Post
More than switching jobs, it's thinking about just switching careers. Any insights on that from you all that switched careers would be appreciated. Nonlnear?
I got my FSA and then changed careers. I don't think there's a way you know it's time to switch careers, I just think there are some opportunities out there that you can't pass up.

Switching careers out of actuarial work was a real mixed bag for me, though it's landing on the positive side. I enjoy the work I do now much more, and I feel more engaged in the project I'm on than anything I did in insurance. But I also work harder for (very slightly) less money (prob catch up by 2 years into the new role). I worked really hard for my FSA, and I miss the respect that garnered me. I've managed to claw some of it back, but it's a long process that I'm not enjoying going through again.

I think I made the right choice, but that's partly because of what a unique opportunity it is. I wouldn't advise switching careers because you your job isn't working out for you; it needs to be something special.

JMO, as she says.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM
CowboyGuy CowboyGuy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
This post is crap
That is a very famous industry norm in finance, investments, banking, wall street, and large metropolitans.

Last edited by Moderator1; 02-16-2017 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-16-2017, 10:40 PM
neofan neofan is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules
Posts: 917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
What if you have to leave for family reasons? Do you think employers would take that into consideration?
even with family reasons try to get into a new area if you're not moving up.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 AM
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 20,181
Default

When the reponse to questions like "This is very inefficient and clunky. Why do we do things this way?" is consistently "Because we have always done it this way".

I can only take so much of that. Insurance companies should always be lookong to evolve and improve things. When too much dead wood accumulates things can get horribly clogged up, and at that time you know it is time to go.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 AM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,358
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post
Don't let anyone fool you about the dangers of job hopping. If you keep getting hired, job hopping isn't hurting you.
I like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I got my FSA and then changed careers. I don't think there's a way you know it's time to switch careers, I just think there are some opportunities out there that you can't pass up.

Switching careers out of actuarial work was a real mixed bag for me, though it's landing on the positive side. I enjoy the work I do now much more, and I feel more engaged in the project I'm on than anything I did in insurance. But I also work harder for (very slightly) less money (prob catch up by 2 years into the new role). I worked really hard for my FSA, and I miss the respect that garnered me. I've managed to claw some of it back, but it's a long process that I'm not enjoying going through again.

I think I made the right choice, but that's partly because of what a unique opportunity it is. I wouldn't advise switching careers because you your job isn't working out for you; it needs to be something special.

JMO, as she says.
Actuaries without borders!

-Riley
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
duke, where u at
Probably somewhere different than he was when you asked this.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Commuter
Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine
Posts: 32,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
When the reponse to questions like "This is very inefficient and clunky. Why do we do things this way?" is consistently "Because we have always done it this way".

I can only take so much of that. Insurance companies should always be lookong to evolve and improve things. When too much dead wood accumulates things can get horribly clogged up, and at that time you know it is time to go.
x 100000000

I was literally told this during my first job. Couldn't believe it when I heard it.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 AM
snikelfritz's Avatar
snikelfritz snikelfritz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yep
Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep
Posts: 25,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphan84 View Post
I appreciate the responses and everyone keeping this thread on track.

In this hypothetical scenario, it's 3 years with ASA.


More than switching jobs, it's thinking about just switching careers. Any insights on that from you all that switched careers would be appreciated. Nonlnear?
Talk to people in the other field, get to know them, get to really know what they do day in day, learn as much as you can about the other career before pulling the trigger.

Grass always seems greener, and it may well be, but, IMO that's a fairly big decision so you want to make it with as much information as you can.
__________________
Britain: Brexit is the stupidest, most self-destructive act a country could ever take.
USA: Hold my beer
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 AM
lit041000's Avatar
lit041000 lit041000 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, tx
Posts: 901
Default

here's a frame which might be helpful.

your job is not your job. your job is to find a better job.

leaving a lame job/career is liberating. it takes immense amounts of courage.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
x 100000000

I was literally told this during my first job. Couldn't believe it when I heard it.
Sometimes that is the answer, though, and the one giving the answer may (or may not) realize just how inadequate an answer that is. The real tell is the attitude that accompanies it.

The red flag should be if they say it in a way that's meant to end discussion, as in, 'that's the way we've always done it [ and we always will. Harrumph!]'

If instead they follow with, 'that's the way we've always done it, but I'm open to improvements - you got some ideas?' - well, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.45225 seconds with 9 queries