Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM
SOA

Studying for FM/2
College: University of Missouri - St. Louis
Favorite beer: Urban Chestnut: Zwickel
Default Actuaries in investments

Hi everyone,

I currently have passed exam P/1, and am looking to pass FM/2 this April. I am also graduating this May with a bachelor's degree in finance, and I would love to pursue an actuarial career in investing. Now, the question is... how do I do that? My current university doesn't have an actuarial program, so networking on campus for employment/internships is a no go, trust me. Everyone I have asked looks at me like I am crazy. Also, I am currently located in St. Louis, MO. So that alone adds more constraints when looking for employment.

Anyways, should I look for an entry level risk management position? I have recently applied for a couple of investment analysts positions, thinking any experience in the investment world would be a plus, but I don't want to get a job that would be, for a lack of a better term, counter-productive to what I am trying to do. What is it I am trying to do? I don't know to be honest. I want a career as an actuary in investing, but I do not know what job would be a great entry level position. Anyone have any advice, thoughts, ideas, criticism, etc.? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchinNumbers View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently have passed exam P/1, and am looking to pass FM/2 this April. I am also graduating this May with a bachelor's degree in finance, and I would love to pursue an actuarial career in investing. Now, the question is... how do I do that? My current university doesn't have an actuarial program, so networking on campus for employment/internships is a no go, trust me. Everyone I have asked looks at me like I am crazy. Also, I am currently located in St. Louis, MO. So that alone adds more constraints when looking for employment.

Anyways, should I look for an entry level risk management position? I have recently applied for a couple of investment analysts positions, thinking any experience in the investment world would be a plus, but I don't want to get a job that would be, for a lack of a better term, counter-productive to what I am trying to do. What is it I am trying to do? I don't know to be honest. I want a career as an actuary in investing, but I do not know what job would be a great entry level position. Anyone have any advice, thoughts, ideas, criticism, etc.? Thanks in advance.
Why try to be an actuary in investments when you can just get a job directly in investments without dealing with the exams?

Risk management does not require you to take actuarial exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM
CAS

Having a job at graduation > not having a job at graduation. An investment analyst job is fine. What makes you want to do actuarial investment opposed to non-actuarial investment?
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

You gotta love insurance products. That's what actuaries specialize in, and to some degree retirement products - annuities and pensions.

This is not what it looks like you are interested in. Just giving you a clearer perspective.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:02 AM
SOA

Studying for FM/2

Well, I never really thought about that. I thought about the QFI track, when trying to become an FSA; however, I didn't know what type of jobs they hold. Are investment actuaries just CFAs? I wanted to become an actuary for a great career, good pay, and having the knowledge of all this is a plus in any sense to me. I've been applying for insurance jobs as well, because when it comes down to it, I would like to be an actuary. I am just passionate about investing, and would like to do something down that road if possible.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 AM
SOA

Studying for FM/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeContingent View Post
You gotta love insurance products. That's what actuaries specialize in, and to some degree retirement products - annuities and pensions.

This is not what it looks like you are interested in. Just giving you a clearer perspective.
I think you are right. I guess I should aim to work with variable life insurance products. Which I am not opposed to. Thanks for that.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchinNumbers View Post
I think you are right. I guess I should aim to work with variable life insurance products. Which I am not opposed to. Thanks for that.
That and variable annuities, indexed annuities, and indexed UL are pretty cool too. I think you may be attracted to the mechanics of these types of non-traditional products. How they are designed, valued, and priced using equities, bonds, and options. If you end up in an ALM role that may further satisfy your interests.

You'd also have to aim to work for a company that sells these things.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM
CAS

Quote:
That and variable annuities, indexed annuities, and indexed UL are pretty cool too. I think you may be attracted to the mechanics of these types of non-traditional products. How they are designed, valued, and priced using equities, bonds, and options. If you end up in an ALM role that may further satisfy your interests.

Also, It would have to be a pretty large company to offer all of those fancy annuities.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 AM
SOA

Studying for FM/2
Thumbs up

Quote:

Yes, exactly that. That is what I am interested in, and with no one I know personally doing anything remotely close to this, it is hard to narrow down. But I honestly appreciate the input.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM

Studying for life
Favorite beer: Six Point Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
Also, It would have to be a pretty large company to offer all of those fancy annuities.
Lots of small and medium-sized companies offer these products.
Retracted below.

Tags
advice, entry level advice, investing, jobs, qfi