Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
SOA

Studying for FM/2
College: University of Missouri - St. Louis
Favorite beer: Urban Chestnut: Zwickel

I do have a question about entry level jobs for an aspiring ALM actuary. Should I just try to get an entry level actuary job for a company that sells these things, then tell them that is what I want to do, or is there a specific actuary function I should aim for? If that makes sense... If you can't tell, I have 0 experience in the field. I haven't gotten past a phone interview yet.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull View Post
Lots of small and medium-sized companies offer these products.
Interesting, I assumed they did not due to the high cost of maintaining a hedging program.

^^ Straight facts from ERMILA.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

You don't need to pass actuarial exams to get an "investment analyst" position.

Personally I think you're going to be restricting your search extremely, so you're going to have to be a very strong candidate to do that.

You mention going down the QFI track. You should gloss over that material to gauge how difficult it will be given your own specific background. I feel like there is quite a difference between an investment analyst and a quantitative analyst.

And finally, really find a rooted reason as to why you want to do that specifically. If you can give a story as to why this route appeals to you more than a traditional route, it will not only help with selling yourself to companies, but in evaluating if you genuinely feel that way.

-Riley
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
SOA AAA

I wouldn't expect an entry level position working on things covered in QFI or ALM. The best you could do is work in variable annuities or life insurance.
In my experience, there aren't very many actuaries working in ALM. Coming out of college thinking you only want to work in that space is severely limiting your job opportunities.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

For insurance companies, Cash Flow Testing is usually under the ALM department and is a core actuarial function and is a regulatory requirement. This can be expanded further into other ERM functions such as calculating EC or EV or whatever, which could use ALM models. But yea, actuaries can do other things than that.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM
SOA

Studying for FM/2
College: University of Missouri - St. Louis
Favorite beer: Urban Chestnut: Zwickel

I think the thing I am going to do is aim for a career in variable annuities, or life insurance, and keep the investment side for my own personal benefit. Like I said I don't have any actuary experience, unfortunately, but I have a lot of investing experience. So I wanted to use that to my advantage.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM
SOA AAA

I do ALM and modeling work at my current company and i really enjoy it. However, I did not start in that role. I moved to that position after I had a few years of experience.

I'm sure there are entry level jobs in ALM/investmets out there, but i wouldn't restrict yourself as Riley mentioned. You may not have much to choose from fresh out of college. The good thing is, there are a decent amount of companies sell VAs, so you may end up at somewhere that sell them anyway.

Also some companies have rotation programs where you get exposed to a lot of areas and you can find out what you enjoy the most. After you gain experience and credentials, you will have more flexibility to move into a role that you want.

Tags
advice, entry level advice, investing, jobs, qfi