Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM
SOA

College: UCLA

Can anyone provide an updated list of companies sponsoring h1b visa please? Thank you very much!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Carol Marler

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

New answer to the question "How many exams are too many" that points out that it takes more than exams to find an EL position:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
Yes, but that's not unique to the actuarial field.

Because of the unique exam process, many students in this career falsely believe that getting a good job is a function of simply passing more and more exams. While exams can you make you qualified for a position, this is very different from being hirable. There are many other "soft" skills that make an employer decide between otherwise eligible candidates, such as ease of communication, body language, and general likeability. And yes, these are skills that can be improved although they come more naturally to some.

Like many of the horror stories we read on this forum, this student was probably wondering why he could not find employment after 5 exams. My guess is that he had the same employment problem when he had only had 2 or 3 exams, but rather than identifying and improving other issues that may have kept him from being interviewed or subsequently hired, he chalked it up to just thinking "if I pass more exams, I'll be more hirable". This is a very, very poor mindset and will only lead to confusion, frustration, and unemployment.

In my opinion, for an EL candidate there are substantial diminishing returns beyond 3 exams. If you can't find employment for an extended period of time with that many exams, something else is wrong and it won't be fixed by taking more exams.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Mar 15, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these two permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
The ones who complain that they're too good for that kind of work really aren't that good.
Two really useful all-purpose responses. Use one or both:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonScandopolous View Post
To which I say: duh and lol.
Careers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
actuarial isn't the only good career out there.
All round good advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
Don't live your life by other people's expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
If you feel you have to lie, then you're don't have enough integrity to be an actuary.

Tags
advice from last decade, careers, faq, frequently asked, helpful information, info, not so frequently asked