Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Carpet doesn't do much to isolate the vibrations of the body of a heavy sub from the underlying floor. And even if your underlying floor is concrete, the concrete is still very capable of transmitting mechanical vibrations to the adjoining walls.
Very interesting! Okay, I may have to try a SubDude down the road. I'm cut off until Christmas.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:39 PM
SOA

Looks like this one is the perfect size:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00O2PMO...=357FB02VFL88N
Old 10-30-2017, 01:17 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Carpet doesn't do much to isolate the vibrations of the body of a heavy sub from the underlying floor. And even if your underlying floor is concrete, the concrete is still very capable of transmitting mechanical vibrations to the adjoining walls.
I'm trying to think through this, equal and opposite reactions and all that. Do you have one of these and, if so, what is your take on their effectiveness? I guess I'm mostly wondering what portion of vibration comes from the cabinet exciting the floor vs the sound waves exciting the room.

I know this came up a while ago and I meant to play around with it... that never happened. Other projects kind of got in the way. Also, my big sub is 230lb and wedged into a closet, so I'm not looking fwd to moving it.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:20 PM
SOA AAA

I'm an idiot. My Seaton sub has dual opposed 15" drivers. They move exactly opposite one another, so the net force is zero. Dual opposed subs don't need a SubDude, basically by construction.

I can try just the one sub and see what kind of vibrations I get, and perhaps compare that to my Aura, which has similar output from one 18" driver. The Aura will walk around a bit at high SPL, it's a mover and a shaker.

Last edited by George Frankly; 10-30-2017 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: grammar is hard
Old 10-30-2017, 01:22 PM
SOA AAA

Down to finishing up the paint on my tiny tapped horns, they look pretty decent. Just flat black, and my 10yo was helping so it's not perfect. And that's fine, they will be hidden in his room, and he's sure to scratch them at some point.

I've been rocking out to one in the garage, it makes my metal signs on the walls shake and buzz. Thinking when we stuff two into his small bedroom, it's going to be pretty nutso.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:52 PM
SOA

I'm curious about something. Obviously, a bigger, more powerful sub can play really low notes and crazy power levels. But how much difference does that make at normal listening levels. Granted, I find I do most of my listening at about 85 dB, which a lot of people would consider loud.

As it is, I have my subwoofer turned down very low in order to keep it at the same test town decibel level as my other speakers. So if I'm coming nowhere near using the full power of my sub, would I even notice any benefit to a more powerful sub?

For example: I watched "Master and Commander" the other day, cranked to about 90 dB. The battle scenes were intense, and I could feel the vibration. Am I going to feel the vibrations more with a better sub, if I'm still targeting 90 dB overall?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:01 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I'm curious about something. Obviously, a bigger, more powerful sub can play really low notes and crazy power levels. But how much difference does that make at normal listening levels. Granted, I find I do most of my listening at about 85 dB, which a lot of people would consider loud.

As it is, I have my subwoofer turned down very low in order to keep it at the same test town decibel level as my other speakers. So if I'm coming nowhere near using the full power of my sub, would I even notice any benefit to a more powerful sub?

For example: I watched "Master and Commander" the other day, cranked to about 90 dB. The battle scenes were intense, and I could feel the vibration. Am I going to feel the vibrations more with a better sub, if I'm still targeting 90 dB overall?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Short answer: very little. You may get lower extension, though your SVS goes quite low. And a larger driver would have lower excursion at a given SPL, which may reduce distortion. But youíre talking 90dB, letís say a 96dB peak and assume your driver does 87dB with one watt, which is probably close. 3dB is twice the output, so 2w gets you 90dB, 4w is 93dB, and 8w is 96dB. On the high end youíre talking 25-50w to hit 96dB I think.

Perhaps a different sub would sound better to your ears. Maybe something sealed (I think you got a vented SVS?). So that might be a reason to switch subs. But in terms of whether a more powerful sub helps, cet par, I donít believe it would, except in an academic sense.

That said, I always switch subs.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:29 PM
SOA

I've got the Outlaw Ultra-X12, but yeah, it's ported.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:47 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I've got the Outlaw Ultra-X12, but yeah, it's ported.
Argh. I thought you had an SVS PB sub. Gotcha! Yeah, with variable tuning you are getting either 25Hz or 17Hz extension. At your volumes you could do either.

Now if you want to upgrade, start a new thread and I will tell you why you need moar bass. Then show that thread to the wife.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Now if you want to upgrade, start a new thread and I will tell you why you need moar bass. Then show that thread to the wife.