Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Ryan's pet coyote View Post
Are you listening to 128 kbps mp3s on this system?
I always rip V0 (variable bit rate, highest quality). I don't know if it really makes a difference in what I am hearing from my receiver (Denon), but psychologically it makes me feel better that I have a smaller file size at the highest quality I can get.

I have also ripped FLAC first, and then used Foobar (not fubar!) to convert the FLAC to V0. I tried to hear a difference between the lossless and lossy versions, but could not, once again on my system.

Can anyone out there tell a difference between FLAC and MP3, soundwise, through the same high quality receiver?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 PM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Hoping at least a couple others are into audio at some level. Happy to answer any questions about the system, or audio in general. Like why use three subs, etc.
OK, I'm game. Why three subs? I have one in my media room, and that seems fine. Perhaps you answered this somewhere in this thread, but I'm late to the game.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
I always rip V0 (variable bit rate, highest quality). I don't know if it really makes a difference in what I am hearing from my receiver (Denon), but psychologically it makes me feel better that I have a smaller file size at the highest quality I can get.

I have also ripped FLAC first, and then used Foobar (not fubar!) to convert the FLAC to V0. I tried to hear a difference between the lossless and lossy versions, but could not, once again on my system.

Can anyone out there tell a difference between FLAC and MP3, soundwise, through the same high quality receiver?
At 256kbps or higher MP3, almost nobody can hear the difference between that and lossless in a blind test.

But when ripping from the source, it makes sense to rip to FLAC or another lossless format, then use that as a base for converting to various lossy formats/bitrates as needed, so you don't end up with double-lossy.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 PM
SOA

Classical music is the only genre where I can notice a difference in resolution, and it's usually pretty slight unless heavily compressed.

MQA made a difference that I could tell in any genre, when I had Tidal Hi-Fi, but that may have had more to do with the remastering (that is done at the same time as the MQA coding) than the resolution.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Maybe the sub's cabinet was generating harmonic resonances in the floor, creating a bit of interference with the sound from the mains.
Interesting.

Can't wait to see what impact the bass traps make!
Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
SOA

Anybody ever used REW (Room EQ Wizard)? It's freeware to analyze the sound in one's room. I got some birthday money, and I'm spending it on a fancy calibration mic. I don't know how much improvement I'll get, but this is one of those things that seems "fiddly" enough to keep me entranced.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Never heard of it, but that looks like a nice little piece of freeware.

I do know that, for us recording types, there are VSTs you can purchase that essentially do the same thing and then correct it so whatever you are recording in that room has a truly flat input. Those usually cost a few hundred bucks, though.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:55 PM
SOA

Yeah, there are expensive audio components that will try to do room correction for you, using much of the same analysis included in this freeware. My receiver has Audyssey, for example, though the model up from mine has a new and improved version of this.

I found that I didn't like the effects of room correction. It really messed with imaging and soundstage. I didn't expect that. I figured it would just flatten my frequency response. Which it did. And I didn't like that, either.

What I'm really trying to do is use this software to figure out the ideal location of my acoustic treatments that should be arriving this week. Folks on some of the audio forums say that this software allowed them to figure this stuff out far more efficiently than trial and error. It also allows you to post your graphs on audio forums (or send to the company that makes your acoustic treatments) and get their free advice.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Anybody ever used REW (Room EQ Wizard)? It's freeware to analyze the sound in one's room. I got some birthday money, and I'm spending it on a fancy calibration mic. I don't know how much improvement I'll get, but this is one of those things that seems "fiddly" enough to keep me entranced.
I know REW is highly regarded, but Iíve not used it. Itís somewhere on my list of things to try out. I use a more crude method with a parametric EQ and a Dayton OmniMic. The Dayton mic is pretty darn easy to use and measures frequency response and THD. Itís $300 for the mic and requisite accessories to make it work, so if you havenít checked it out, then Iíd recommend doing so.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:15 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Egghead, I have a friend who has used Audyssey and Dirac. I wasnít blown away by either one. My best guess is they tweak things, sometimes dramatically, to get a flat response at one or a handful of locations. I think they are sometimes over-optimizing, so to speak. Iíve found that smaller adjustments sound better, even if the response doesnít look ruler flat. I havenít given up on the concept, but right now itís not perfect.