Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 AM
SOA

College: MTA Alumnus
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMathNotMeth View Post
Yeah, it sounds like we are in very similar spots. I've passed all VEEs, the original five prelims, and passed or submitted all FAP work except the FA. I am planning to take the FA from 08/10 to 08/13 (I'd prefer to write it sooner, but personal and work timelines are making me wait). If you're planning to write the FA that weekend maybe we could start a Google group and bounce ideas off each other!
I have not committed to a weekend where I will write the FA for sure, but I would definitely be interested in doing so if its the same weekend. Similarly, I have some personal commitments and work deadlines that are getting in the way of my study schedule. It looks like the only logical times I can write this are 08/10 to 08/13 or 09/07 to 09/10. I'd rather not wait that long, so I'll probably join you in August...Please let me know if you create a Google group!

Last edited by HammerdPigeon; 07-16-2018 at 08:10 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM
SOA

I just called Actuarial Bookstore and they said the SRM ASM manual won't be out till at least September. And they don't really know when yet. They did say ACTEX is available now, but I've never had a good experience with ACTEX. For someone who got SRM credit for VEE a billion years ago I was hoping for a good way to review all that material.

APC
Old 07-17-2018, 03:46 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeactuary View Post
I just called Actuarial Bookstore and they said the SRM ASM manual won't be out till at least September. And they don't really know when yet. They did say ACTEX is available now, but I've never had a good experience with ACTEX. For someone who got SRM credit for VEE a billion years ago I was hoping for a good way to review all that material.
While they aren't as convenient as a manual, two of the texts on the syllabus are free online and the other two are dirt-cheap on Amazon. You can probably acquire all four texts for under $50, or $40 if you want to rent. I paid $64 for full and immediate ownership of the two texts that aren't free (eBook).

One of the free books isn't physically available until September and is only available in a web browser. I found it helpful to create a batch file that opens the page and place it in a file with the 3 other offline texts. Anyone is free to PM me if he or she wants the simple batch file code.

And don't order an electronic product from the Actuarial Bookstore on a weekend if you want it immediately I don't understand why they manually deliver their products.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 07-23-2018, 08:49 AM
SOA

any reason why you need the SRM manual for this exam?
Old 07-24-2018, 02:18 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
any reason why you need the SRM manual for this exam?
From the second paragraph of the PA syllabus (updated 07/10/2018):
Quote:
Credit for Exam SRM is required to take the PA exam. Candidates who have received transition credit for Exam SRM will be eligible to take Exam PA but should note that knowledge of the Exam SRM learning objectives will be assumed.
Under Textbooks on page 7 of the PA syllabus:
Quote:
There are four texts required for the course. Two of them are the texts for the Statistics for Risk Modeling Exam. These are listed below this paragraph. It is assumed that candidates are familiar with all this material. Explicit reference to parts of these texts may be made from time to time within the modules. However, that does not imply the other sections are unimportant.
Personally, I do not find an SRM manual necessary. Someone who wanted to take an extra-cautious approach, get a leg up prior to the release of the PA Modules (expected later today for those in my time zone) and or is not confident in statistics may have chosen to purchase an SRM manual. However, with the modules forthcoming and the chapters for each text listed in the syllabus, I would imagine the SRM manual is superfluous. I suppose if one has trouble with the modules, he or she can always purchase an SRM manual.

The link to the PA syllabus is https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2018/2...pa-syllabi.pdf.

I hope everyone has fun and this experience justifies $1125.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
Someone who wanted to take an extra-cautious approach, get a leg up prior to the release of the PA Modules (expected later today for those in my time zone) and or is not confident in statistics may have chosen to purchase an SRM manual.
Do we know what time the modules will be opened up? They are still closed.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:36 AM
SOA

College: Penn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
So it'll be a computer based test that's not multiple choice?
That's right - the syllabus heavily emphasizes communication of results, so you'll be on the hook for some kind of Word Document final deliverable.

I personally love this, because this sort of deliverable is what actuaries in the field actually produce. I'm only 3+ years in, but I don't see many actuaries optimizing a loglikelihood function by hand or doing speed calculus in under 6 minutes to solve for one of five answer choices. So if we are adding exams to the ASA credential, I'm glad they're more aligned with the work actuaries are doing in the field.

Last edited by CSL; 07-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
Personally, I do not find an SRM manual necessary. Someone who wanted to take an extra-cautious approach, get a leg up prior to the release of the PA Modules (expected later today for those in my time zone) and or is not confident in statistics may have chosen to purchase an SRM manual. However, with the modules forthcoming and the chapters for each text listed in the syllabus, I would imagine the SRM manual is superfluous. I suppose if one has trouble with the modules, he or she can always purchase an SRM manual.
Agreed - I think the ISLR videos put out by the author are pretty cool and cover a huge chunk of syllabus material. Maybe watch all those first before hunkering down with a SRM manual?

Quote:
I hope everyone has fun and this experience justifies $1125.
Ugh, for real.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
I need the PA modules to open up to break the monotony of FAP, which is a hazing exercise at this point.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post