Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 11-19-2017, 04:18 PM
SOA

College: CFA Institute, GARP
Post SOS Call - Failed P Twice

Hello everyone,

I just failed my 2nd attempt at Exam P few days back. I come from a Finance/Investment background, so never thought about learning Calculus/Stats (as a subject) before. My first Exam P attempt was consumed in getting a hold on Calculus but this time around, went with a positive feeling into the final month of my preparation.

I used Actex Manual (2009 Edition) to study and went through SoA's Sample Questions (total 326 questions) more than twice. However, during the exam it felt like skies are falling again; dont think that my final score would be more than 4.

I am still determined but think that I need to change my strategy; hence, advice is requested from the members of this forum.

- Should I now subscribe to a preparatory course? If yes, should it be TIA or Coaching Actuaries?

- Should I just buy the latest Actex Manual and hope for the best?

- Any other way which is better than the above-mentioned two?

After going through a lot of threads, I have realized that a subscription to ADAPT (for exam practice) is a must under any situation!

Any and all advice is highly appreciated!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:37 PM
SOA

Personally if I were you I would not buy anything right now. The Actex manual you currently have is likely good enough. Did you do the Actex practice tests?

If you haven't done the Actex practice exams, do a few exams just as problems without timing yourself and very slowly learn every solution after attempting each problem so that you understand each problem thoroughly. Try to think of variations of the problems you are weak on and research how you'd do the problem if it was a little different. Don't pressure yourself with how long it takes you. Your only goal should be feeling comfortable with every problem. This is much more productive for you.

After that you can do some practice exams under exam conditions, but it's not helpful if you don't first focus on your comfort level with everything you're weak on.

If you've run out of fresh practice problems and feel like you're leaning on memory because you've seen it all, then maybe buy another resource.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Non-Actuary

Is Actex recommended nowadays? When I took P the Actex manual wasn't known as being the best study manual. I almost always doubled up TIA with ASM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Is Actex recommended nowadays? When I took P the Actex manual wasn't known as being the best study manual. I almost always doubled up TIA with ASM.
Come to think of it, I have never seen the 2009 Actex. If it's anything like the 2010 Edition (which I used) then it's a great resource. My main issue with it was that it tended to list results rather than prove them so it was good to supplement it with a more detailed textbook. I thought the example problems within chapters and exercises at the end of each were excellent. The sample exams were more wordy and detailed than typical problems on the real exam so perhaps not great in predicting your speed on the real exam. However, they were still useful.

I've heard a lot of people say that the a/s/m manual wasn't very good. I have never looked at it, but I know Abraham Weishaus is the author so I have a hard time believing that. All of my experiences with his study resources have been excellent.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
I've heard a lot of people say that the a/s/m manual wasn't very good. I have never looked at it, but I know Abraham Weishaus is the author so I have a hard time believing that. All of my experiences with his study resources have been excellent.
Abraham Weishaus wrote several of the asm manuals, but I don't think is the P author.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Abraham Weishaus wrote several of the asm manuals, but I don't think is the P author.

Confusing... actuarial bookstore says itís selling the Weishaus one...
Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 PM
SOA

College: SFU

Before purchasing a new manual, I would double check your Actex's manual coverage with the syllabus' coverage to make sure that it covers all the topics on the syllabus. If not, you might need to switch to a new Actex (which I used) or an ASM manual. I used the 2012 edition of the Actex manual and it was great. One more thing that would be really helpful is definitely Adapt from Coaching Actuaries. Should definitely do that 2-4 weeks before your exam.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

Hi there!

I totally understand your frustration. I was actually in the exact same boat as you years ago when I wrote Exam P. I ended up passing on the 3rd attempt and it felt great! You probably just need to nail down a good study strategy and then once you do, you'll be able to apply the exact same principles to the other preliminary exams.

If you're interested, I have a Study Strategy Program where I work 1-on-1 with you throughout your entire study period. I build a custom study strategy for you, let you know which resources are best for you to use based on your learning style and budget, and I answer all your questions along the way too.

I recently worked with someone who had written Exam P 3 times and passed on the 4th time in my program!

Brea
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)

Last edited by Shakeela; 01-27-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 05:18 AM
SOA

College: 1st Year

Hi,
I am planning to take exam p on january 2018. Feel free the private message me. Maybe we can work together.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:05 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: University of Manitoba, Alumni

I passed every prelim with one attempt.

My advice is you need to thoroughly understand the topics instead of just memorizing the formulas and methods. SOA doesn't like students to memorize formulas.

To me Exam P (not FM, MLC, MFE, and C) is like an IQ test. Yes you have done so many practice questions and already get familiar with the solutions. But SOA likes to create new questions that you have never thought/seen/tried before to you test your knowledge in probability.

If you can pass P, you can pass the rest. Good luck.

VEE's

FAP 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA

Tags
exam p/1