Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-10-2001, 12:02 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Kansas

Is everyone aware of the changes proposed by the SOA?

A few major changes proposed are:
* The QRS designation - a non-actuarial base designation
* Calculus is removed from the curriculum
* Exam Waivers are given via College credit
* Shorter travel time
Old 09-10-2001, 02:03 PM
Anonymous

Do you mean the ones they're talking about for 2005?
Old 09-10-2001, 02:22 PM
CAS AAA

What is this about removing calculus? Is that only for the first exam or does that mean never having to integrate in any exam?
Old 09-10-2001, 02:38 PM
Anonymous

I liked most of their ideas, although I think it would have been more effective if it were only 5 pages long instead of 30. They repeated themselves way too much.

For the ideas themselves, I give them credit for thinking proactively. I wonder if they've fully considered the logistical burden of reviewing 100's of college courses and programs for potential waivers.

I'd be all for dropping the Calc. I'm a finance major studying for Course 1 and I'm pretty weak on the direct calc. Using it to solve probabiliy problems is one thing, but solving for the length of a velocity vector, come on! I realize it is a good learning tool that will prepare my mind for handling complex business problems but you'd think there's a better way of doing that.

Bottom line is I hope that they don't lose sight of the uniqueness of the FSA compared to other designations. It competes with the CFA, CPA, etc, for new students, but there is a reason it is held in such high regard (and in my opinion above those other designations) - because it is harder and takes longer to get.

It would be a shame to bring it down to an easier level, hence losing it's respect, just so it is more like the other designations with the goal more people would try it out. But there is no doubt something needs to be changed to attract more students. Hopefully they will find the happy medium.

Adam Johnson
Old 09-10-2001, 03:58 PM
Anonymous

It's about time Calc was removed from the syllabus. I think it's a waste of time to directly test any of the math or stats in a "pure form." (Or, it's okay to test applied math like interest theory or actuarial math.) There's is too much other material.
Old 09-10-2001, 04:02 PM

I liked that calculus was still in the syllabus. It makes it possible for someone with no finance/actuarial background to test the waters. By removing calculus, the SoA is asking more of a leap of faith.

However, I do agree that pure calculus is not really relevant.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:07 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

I also liked that Calculus was being dropped. It isn't being removed from the other topics, though....just the ones needed for the QRS designation.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:26 PM
Anonymous

/rant on
gee whiz. why don't we just drop everything but arithmetic and any third grader can do the job.
/rant off

seriously, though, at some point we have to go back and say for some topic - you have to learn a solid foundation. This means going beyond the narrrow domain in which you plan to apply your knowledge.

This way you can easily build on it. I don't recommend a purely theoretical approach, but certainly take a well rounded, but mathematically demanding equivalent of the calculus of multiple variables that will prepare you for statistics.

Think about how hard calculus would be if you had to re-think the quadratic formula, or your trig identities every time you saw it. If you drop calculus, that's how hard statistics can be.

Really, calculus should be in the background of every college graduate (and therefore part of the competency of every actuary, and para-actuary) IMO, scientific and mathematical literacy in todays society should be assumed as a given before leaving college.

Perhaps it shouldn't be tested after all. We're all supposed to know it.

Old 09-10-2001, 06:33 PM
Anonymous

They're dropping calculus, but they're leaving Macroeconomics and Phillips curves in there?!?!? I hope they drop that too. Never was any subject matter so useless.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:15 PM
SOA AAA

http://www.soa.org/eande/taskforce_2005.pdf

Read it yourself. My guess (I haven't read yet) is that not all calculus will be dropped. Just basic non-actuarial-related calc for Course 1.

It's designed to bring in more money from non-math grads.