Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
Some kind of office job, preferably financial and/or quantitative, would look better. The classic advice on here is apply for underwriter positions at an insurance company. Some will say to disclose your intentions of later switching to actuarial, but I believe that advice is foolish.
I've read that here on before, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever really gotten a job (either underwriting OR actuarial) by doing this. Underwriting is a professional position also and I don't think they just hand them out like candy, especially in this economy.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj109 View Post
I've read that here on before, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever really gotten a job (either underwriting OR actuarial) by doing this. Underwriting is a professional position also and I don't think they just hand them out like candy, especially in this economy.
Yes.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj109 View Post
Sure, it happens, but it's by no means any sort of guarantee.

I personally wouldn't do it unless you're desperate. If you're competent technically (i.e., can program and are objectively pretty good at math), there are other options if you can't land an actuarial job. I don't think this field is worth taking desperate attempts at. YMMV.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM
CAS

I am going to be a senior in college this year and will graduate in April. Is it too early to start applying for entry level jobs now? Would you guys suggest I wait until september or october at the peak of hiring season?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 PM
CAS SOA

College: Florida Atlantic University

If you're looking for an underwriting gig in the meantime, would it be wise to leave exam progress off your resume? It'd seem like an obvious tell that you're just waiting for an actuarial opportunity to come along.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:41 AM
SOA

Studying for FM - August 2014

I am a recent graduate with an engineering degree who is struggling so badly to find a job somewhat related to actuarial field. And I can see that I'm not lonely in this boat. Most quantitative, analyst kind of positions disqualify me due to my non existent background in finance/business and insufficient programming skills. For the assistant/data entry type of work, my degree seems to be a hindrance , and they say that I lack experience.
No chances getting into underwriting so far and I shy away from insurance customer rep./sale roles because the introvert in me will be really miserable in such positions.
I'm working at Cinnabon right now to pay the rent while continuing on my frustrating job search. Can somebody recommend some kinds of job I can look into?

Last edited by VanAnhDo; 09-11-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 AM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAnhDo View Post
I am a recent graduate with an engineering degree who is struggling so badly to find a job somewhat related to actuarial field. And I can see that I'm not lonely in this boat. Most quantitative, analyst kind of positions disqualify me due to my non existent background in finance/business and insufficient programming skills. For the assistant/data entry type of work, my degree seems to be a hindrance , and they say that I lack experience.
No chances getting into underwriting so far and I shy away from insurance customer rep./sale roles because the introvert in me will be really miserable in such positions.
I'm working at Cinnabon right now to pay the rent while continuing on my frustrating job search. Can somebody recommend some kinds of job I can look into?
Have you tried getting an engineering job?
Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 AM
SOA

Quote:
I'm eatin' that. That's what's gonna happen next. You decide if we're gonna be in the paper tomorrow, but that shit's goin in my face.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
#1. If you're trying to get an actuarial job, how many Exams have you passed?

#2. If you're not getting interviews for an actuarial position, and you have at least 2 Exams passed, then you need to work on your resume. And possibly pass more Exams.

#3. If you're getting interviews for an actuarial job but aren't getting any offers, then you most likely need to improve your interviewing skills.

#4. I had no actuarial background when I started applying for an EL position and got a job. I know of many people who do not have an actuarial background and got a job. Getting an actuarial job is a blend of (a) getting Exams passed, (b) looking "good enough" on a resume to get an interview, and (c) looking better than the other candidates during an interview. If you're able to network, that will most likely work in your favor.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Quote:
Why did you study engineering if you wanted to be an actuary?