Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Only if you listen at 1x speed. Try speeding it up to 1.5X or so. It obviously helps you get through it faster, but it also helps me focus more. Most audiobooks are read too slowly, and my mind wanders. Speeding it up fixes that.
I tried that, I felt like I was going to have a stroke. My brain is just not quick enough to be able to handle that.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:16 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
I tried that, I felt like I was going to have a stroke. My brain is just not quick enough to be able to handle that.
I think I settled around 1.15 speed for most of my listening.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
I think I settled around 1.15 speed for most of my listening.
I do 1.2. Faster just doesn't work for me, but 1.0 drags.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
Finished Words of Radiance. It was...fine.

If you love the series and the world, which is something I can respect and understand, I could see where you would have liked it. But I'm fairly on the fence still, and it just felt ponderously, oppressively long and drawn out. As I'm reflecting on it now, all I can think about is how little actually happened. Yes, there were some Big Plot Events (almost exclusively at the end), but...did this need to be 1100 pages? It's a cool world, but Sanderson definitely seems to be living up to his claim that this was going to be his most indulgent work.

Again, if you love this world, then 1100 pages is probably a delight. I felt like I was reading a book that was assigned to me. I just don't think Sanderson is for me, unfortunately.

I'm going to take a bit and decide if I want to read Oathbringer. I thought I would for sure, but then I looked at it's 1250 pages, and I feel like there is a stone around my neck just thinking about it. I could read all three books in The Lord of The Rings instead and still have ~50 pages left over.
Journey before destination, my friend. If you aren't getting anything out of the 1100 pages leading up to the end..
Old 11-18-2019, 11:42 AM
CAS

Just finished Bands of Mourning, which I mistakenly thought was the 3rd book of a second Mistborn trilogy....and in the last 50 pages or so I realized that the story could not be properly brought to conclusion...then the postscript set me straight. Any updates on when The Lost Metal is due out? Goodreads says the Fall 2019 estimate is likely aggressive due to his work on Skyward...
Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

I'm still liking Well of Ascension, but I think I made a mistake jumping right into it after the first one. Should've done something totally different in between. But I know if I switch now, I might get distracted and not come back, so I'll power through. Maybe a few short graphic novels instead of a full book would work though.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekial Cumberland View Post
Just finished Bands of Mourning, which I mistakenly thought was the 3rd book of a second Mistborn trilogy....and in the last 50 pages or so I realized that the story could not be properly brought to conclusion...then the postscript set me straight. Any updates on when The Lost Metal is due out? Goodreads says the Fall 2019 estimate is likely aggressive due to his work on Skyward...
State of the Sanderson should come out next month with an update on timing for all his projects. I know he is pushing to finish writing the first draft of the next stormlight by the end of this year targeting a fall 2020 release, and I haven't seen any progress made on The Lost Metal, so I am guessing he will do that one next year for an early 2021 release.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanActuary View Post
State of the Sanderson should come out next month with an update on timing for all his projects. I know he is pushing to finish writing the first draft of the next stormlight by the end of this year targeting a fall 2020 release, and I haven't seen any progress made on The Lost Metal, so I am guessing he will do that one next year for an early 2021 release.
A bit more on this:

Brandon had originally planned on doing The Lost Metal between Oathbringer and Stormlight 4. That didn't pan out because Skyward went off and he wanted to get right into the sequel instead. Now he's at a point where he HAS to do The Lost Metal next, because it's holding up the rest of the Cosmere roll-out. Namely, after Stormlight 5, he's going to get right into Mistborn Era 3, which takes place between the first and second half of Stormlight.

So, first half of 2020 will be dedicated to writing The Lost Metal, and it'll probably come out shortly after Stormlight 4.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 PM
CAS

Thanks for the updates!
Old 11-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekial Cumberland View Post
I did the exact same thing. I was really disappointed when the 3rd book didn't end the trilogy like I expected but then got excited when I realized I was going to get another book with those characters.