Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 AM
CAS AAA

Default The Walking Dead (AMC original series)

I just want to plug AMC's upcoming new series, "The Walking Dead", which premieres on Halloween night (Oct 31).

official website: http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

The show is based on a long running comic about a Zombie Apocalypse. I've read every issue of the comic and think the television adaption has the potential to be mesmerizing and easily one of the best and more unique shows of the past decade. It looks like there's some talent behind its creation as Frank Darabont (director of Shawshank Redemption) is leading the project.

So give it a try, even if you're not into horror/zombies. You may be surprised as I believe the show is going to focus more on the characters and the psychological effects of what's happening, rather than highlighting violence and gore. AMC has produced some great stuff recently, and I think their streak of hits is going to continue.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Been looking forward to it for awhile. I'm mad my friend found the first episode online and it was taken down before I could see it.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Dark Force of Risk

Studying for Nada
College: TIA University
Favorite beer: Péché Mortel

Looks good, but I don't get AMC
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
CAS AAA

didn't get to watch it last night, but hope to catch it On-Demand ASAP.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: The one in my hand

I watched. It was better than I expected!

You can't accept the SOA in your heart and believe they save life insurers from a fiery hell and have that be enough to get your fellowship. - KIRY commenting on why Southern Baptist origins do not prepare you for the actuarial field

Spoiler - :

Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

AMC? I never watch that channel, unless they happen to play a decent movie. I'll look to see if my On Demand has this, but our On Demand usually sucks, so I don't have high hopes.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
I watched. It was better than I expected!
It was a little worse than I thought.

Spoiler:
The reveal of his wife and kid was a little quick and I saw it coming a mile away
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReserveRage View Post
I just want to plug AMC's upcoming new series, "The Walking Dead", which premieres on Halloween night (Oct 31).

official website: http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

The show is based on a long running comic about a Zombie Apocalypse. I've read every issue of the comic and think the television adaption has the potential to be mesmerizing and easily one of the best and more unique shows of the past decade. It looks like there's some talent behind its creation as Frank Darabont (director of Shawshank Redemption) is leading the project.

So give it a try, even if you're not into horror/zombies. You may be surprised as I believe the show is going to focus more on the characters and the psychological effects of what's happening, rather than highlighting violence and gore. AMC has produced some great stuff recently, and I think their streak of hits is going to continue.
Thanks for the heads-up. Good first episode. I watched it on dvr yesterday and didn't delete it in case I feel like watching it again. I thought the mix of psychological vs violence was done pretty well; ought to have some of both for this type of show.

A couple things in spoilers, since a couple people here haven't seen the ep:
Spoiler:
Were we supposed to catch on to who the chopped-in-half lady zombie was? If so, I missed it.

That was a 'dead' zombie the birds were eating, right? Will that now mess up the bird population?

Trapped in the tank and just about went the suicide route two different times, but some non-zombie is watching. It will be interesting to see how he gets out / saved.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
Looks good, but I don't get AMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
AMC? I never watch that channel, unless they happen to play a decent movie. I'll look to see if my On Demand has this, but our On Demand usually sucks, so I don't have high hopes.
You're missing out on at least one really good show that's had a multi-season run, Breaking Bad. I've heard good stuff about other shows on AMC but haven't seen them, and I think this zombie show has started off on a solid note.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
CAS AAA

I still haven't seen the first episode yet! Argh, so much to do and so little time. I am definitely going to watch it tonight and hope to read the spoilers, even though I'm fairly confident I know almost everything that will happen due to reading the comics.

I think every AMC show since Mad Men has been high quality. Even Rubicon was good, although slow and required incredible patience. Breaking Bad and Mad Men are easily on par with the best shows HBO and Showtime have put out

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf