Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for software developer
College: college of duh!
Default how hard did you think spring 09 mfe is

nevermind

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures." - Charles C. Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
Does he math good?

I need a geek in the streets but a mathlete in the sheets.

Last edited by smwentum; 11-09-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: did a simple google search
Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrunskill View Post
Definitely signifcantly easier than the current exam level.

I havent actually written yet but thats what the ASM manual claims.

I also got 19/20 on it so..
yes but not everyone got 19/20 on the exam. That's not what the results suggest. If you got 19/20 on that exam you'd get a 10. So being the same person today, you still get a 10 or close to it REGARDLESS of how freakin hard it is.

I don't understand what this madness is all about. Apparently everyone claims they get 20/20 on the 2009 exam and how easy it is but that's not what the numbers say. You average Joe out there you can tell me the exam was so darn easy for you but guess what. I'm not buying:

http://www.casact.org/admissions/stu...xam_3Fpass.pdf

I'll let the numbers talk. Not you.

So I say, if you REALLY find the exam very easy and you took it under exam conditions and scored 20/20 then you are good to go. All other talk is BS.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joni308 View Post
yes but not everyone got 19/20 on the exam. That's not what the results suggest. If you got 19/20 on that exam you'd get a 10. So being the same person today, you still get a 10 or close to it REGARDLESS of how freakin hard it is.

I don't understand what this madness is all about. Apparently everyone claims they get 20/20 on the 2009 exam and how easy it is but that's not what the numbers say. You average Joe out there you can tell me the exam was so darn easy for you but guess what. I'm not buying:

http://www.casact.org/admissions/stu...xam_3Fpass.pdf

I'll let the numbers talk. Not you.

So I say, if you REALLY find the exam very easy and you took it under exam conditions and scored 20/20 then you are good to go. All other talk is BS.
when 2009 was offered the pass market was 60%. They must have made the exam much harder since then or something.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123454321 View Post
when 2009 was offered the pass market was 60%. They must have made the exam much harder since then or something.
Why don't you also look at the percentage of candidates that passed in 2009 and 2011? The objective being to pass, the difficulty of an exam is measured by how many(%) passed that exam (when people from same backgrounds take the exam and the samples are big which is the case here). Let's say the exam was TRIVIAL (1+1=2 stuff) in 2009 and noone passed and in 2011 was the toughest thigng in the world and 99.9% passed (with similar big samples from the same pool of people) then how do you call which one is the hardest?

All I'm saying my analysis tells me I go by the previous exams (both SOA and CAS) and not by someone's totally unscientific speculations and coffeee shop talk.

Last edited by joni308; 11-09-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA exams

According to the passing percentages, MFE got harder and harder until topping out at Fall 2010. Spring 2011 was ridiculously easy (there is a thread on this) as well as the passmark being raised to 71% and 44% still passed (highest since spring 2008).
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrunskill View Post
Abe even claims in his manual that spring 2009 was easy compared to the other years.

I bet the pass mark is so low because people referenced the spring 2007 as practice which was even easier. One exam sitting is not independent of the next.

Also I'm expecting a 9 or a 10 on MFE anyway (gonna look like a huge ass now if i fail haha).
Everything is relative, I took S09 after doing the entire ASM manual, every problem, every practice exam. I got 14/20 and didn't know how to do 6 problems at all.

After the exam was released all its problems/tested materials got incorporated into the future manuals. So of course now for you guys that exam seems ridiculously easy.