Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Non-Actuary

I don't think it's an issue of whether or not you know how to study properly. I think it streamlines studying. You could just do the problems in ASM at the end of each chapter, but doing lots of problems that way from certain sections may be overkill. This would also help compartmentalize your knowledge, which is a bad thing.

One could argue ASM (or any other manual) is for people who don't know how to study properly, and you should just be reading the assigned texts.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2A.or.not.2A View Post
I think ADAPT is made for people who don't know how to study (mathematics) properly.

Is it effective? definitely, but is it necessary for everybody? definitely not.

I guess as the career path of actuarial science is getting hotter than ever, we will have more and more people who must use ADAPT to pass.
I see your point, but I think a huge factor in what you're saying here is that a lot of actuarial materials seem to deemphasize the theory behind what it is that is actually occurring (i.e., this is not just an ADAPT problem).

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Finishing up the M.S. degree.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

I'm up to chapter 3 of the ASM manual and just out of curiosity, do most of you get a lot of the exercise questions correct, or it's mostly looking at solutions and trying to figure out how to solve it?
VEE Credits
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendever7 View Post
I'm up to chapter 3 of the ASM manual and just out of curiosity, do most of you get a lot of the exercise questions correct, or it's mostly looking at solutions and trying to figure out how to solve it?
I start off looking at the solution for the first few questions, just to see how to solve it. Then I usually figure out the solutions on my own, since the following questions usually are similar. I'm on lesson 10 and I still use that method.

I have a question to the people who did MFE. How much time should I allow to understand the theory vs doing practice problems? I have a feeling that I should focus on doing problems. I am planning on doing adapt after asm.

Last edited by maximlachance; 03-19-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam MLC
College: University of Louisville Alumni
Favorite beer: Zombie Dust

Coming off a 9 month break of not studying....Decided today it's time to get it together. Goodbye social life. I'll be using ASM/ADAPT.

And NUH is the letter I use to spell Nutches
Who live in small caves, known as Nitches, for hutches,
These Nutches have troubles, the biggest of which is
the fact there are many more Nutches than Nitches.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximlachance View Post
I start off looking at the solution for the first few questions, just to see how to solve it. Then I usually figure out the solutions on my own, since the following questions usually are similar. I'm on lesson 10 and I still use that method.

I have a question to the people who did MFE. How much time should I allow to understand the theory vs doing practice problems? I have a feeling that I should focus on doing problems. I am planning on doing adapt after asm.
I spent roughly 2 months going through ASM and 1 month for ADAPT. Granted, I work full time and during month of ADAPT we were much busier.

The overwhelming sentiment, and my personal experience as well, is that you should definitely spend more time on ADAPT problems than ASM problems. That being said, it's important to go through ASM sufficiently enough that you can grasp how every topic fits together.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximlachance View Post

(I worked full time throughout the whole process)

I spent about ~6 weeks learning the theory presented in ASM and spent 2 days using ADAPT. If you know the theory/concepts, applying them is easy as .

As for the exam itself, the problems I was given were very similar to the average ADAPT question (~level 5).
Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE & C
College: graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvisalluneed View Post
Same here, with full time job and a little baby. I am doing McDonald/ASM/ADAPT as well.
I am glad I am not the only one dealing with full time job and a young baby.I hope we all pass.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: UALR

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2FM View Post
I am glad I am not the only one dealing with full time job and a young baby.I hope we all pass.
My second daughter came along about a month before I passed FM and was 3 months old when I got my EL job. Didn't pass MFE on my first attempt last week, but back in the swing of things ready to try again in July.

Get your rest when you can, man! Good luck in your studies!!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 PM

Favorite beer: I don't drink beer!! Johnny Walker Black Label it is

I was supposed to sit during the March sitting but ive been busy sleeping and drinking...it's time to start getting on my grind now that the weather is getting nicer..i want to pass it and not deal with having to spend my summer studying again....UGHH