Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 02-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Non-Actuary

College: UWEC

I've never used adapt, how are you doing on the SOA questions? Hopefully I will be able to start the practice exams next week!! This is so far much tougher than P or FM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:49 AM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taemisung1 View Post
What level adapt exams do you recommend grinding out? I'm doing level 6, but I get roughly 5 10+ questions that are just unreasonable. Keep ending up with like 18 out of 30
From the previous IFM survey results, many students thought that the actual exam was comparable to an Adapt level of 4 - 7. Thus, it is beneficial for you to practice questions from these levels, and we have many of these in Adapt.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM
CAS

Studying for IFM
College: Auburn University

Where is everyone at? I'm at a 4.75 EL after 5 practice exams with my exam being on the 18th. I've been looking through notes here and there but primarily I review my old exams. I think I'll strive for 18-20 practice exams before the real deal.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec_actuary View Post
Where is everyone at? I'm at a 4.75 EL after 5 practice exams with my exam being on the 18th. I've been looking through notes here and there but primarily I review my old exams. I think I'll strive for 18-20 practice exams before the real deal.
I think you'll be way prepared! I failed in November with a 4 (I was at 3.8 in coaching which was completely my fault because I did not leave enough time for practice exams) so by the sound of it you will be more than prepared. You could probably pass now with a 6 so keep grinding out 4-6 level exams. Anything higher will never show up on the exam and probably discourage you.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:04 PM
CAS

Studying for IFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EActuary View Post
I think you'll be way prepared! I failed in November with a 4 (I was at 3.8 in coaching which was completely my fault because I did not leave enough time for practice exams) so by the sound of it you will be more than prepared. You could probably pass now with a 6 so keep grinding out 4-6 level exams. Anything higher will never show up on the exam and probably discourage you.
Yeah this is my third attempt at it. My first attempt I just straight up underestimated the amount of material, and top that with just starting my first actuarial job I was setting myself up for failure. My second attempt was in November and I made a 5 with a 5.88 EL, but I really think I fell for some tricks in my exam. Regardless, I'm much farther already than I was in my last attempt so I'm staying hopeful.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:07 PM
SOA

Default Earned Level

I'm currently on 3.54 adapt level and getting minimum 19-21 correct from 30 can anyone tell me how's my preparation? my exam is on 19th march
Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 AM
SOA

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: Natty Litey

Currently, earned level of 6.58 and have been passing level 6 exams back to back. 4th sitting so it's not as impressive as others posting. Feeling confident, but any feedback other than maintain until exam?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:54 PM
CAS

Studying for IFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taemisung1 View Post
Currently, earned level of 6.58 and have been passing level 6 exams back to back. 4th sitting so it's not as impressive as others posting. Feeling confident, but any feedback other than maintain until exam?
Unsure as I feel like I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I don't know if I need more studying on the qualitative information or more practice problems, so that means I need more of both.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:16 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

After the November 2019 sitting was over, we asked our students approximately what Earned Level in Adapt they would rate the difficulty of the actual exam. Here is the breakdown of the result:
  • Level 1: 0.0%
  • Level 2: 0.2%
  • Level 3: 1.1%
  • Level 4: 9.8%
  • Level 5: 35.1%
  • Level 6: 37.5%
  • Level 7: 10.0%
  • Level 8: 4.9%
  • Level 9: 1.1%
  • Level 10: 0.4%

We also asked about how many of the questions on the actual exam were qualitative. Here is the breakdown of the result:
  • Less than 5: 13.4%
  • At least 5, but less than 10: 71.2%
  • At least 10, but less than 15: 10.5%
  • At least 15: 4.9%

Last but not least, of the 706 survey respondents who took the exam, 74.5% of them responded that they passed the actual exam.

Hopefully this information can help a bit. If you have any questions regarding IFM prep, feel free to email me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com. I will try my best to help. All the best!

Last edited by tkt; 03-05-2020 at 10:21 PM..
Old 03-10-2020, 04:39 PM
SOA

College: North Dakota State University

I've only taken one adapt exam so far, but got lucky with a 29/30 and shot up to a 6 earned level. That was 2 weeks ago and I've been too scared to take another PE, so I've just been doing adapt quizzes around a 6 difficulty. Hopefully ~ 500 problems is enough to pass this Friday.