Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Pricing, Reserving & Forecasting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Hi,

I am currently working on this module on the reserving part. I get the CF method as the lowest, not the IC method (as I've seen others post on here). I am pretty sure of my work, I've double checked. Has anyone here also gotten CF as lowest of the three? Thank you
Old 05-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout

Yes, using both 2004 and 2005 experience (which I did as my main way) --- IC>BF>CF. Using only 2005, my results are reveresed (with larger differences).
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout

Don't know if anyone is working on this part right now, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Module assignment says the avg of the 3 methods should get you an IBNR estimate of $2.4m for runout of claims in 2010 that occured in 2011. Using an 11% trend (consistent with Task 2, haven't gotten to Task 3 yet), I'm getting an avg of $2,106,909 for the 3 methods, with actual runout of $2,027,117. I've copied all the appropriate tabs and double checked formulas. For the trend, I'm also only going back 6 months for the experience period like the case study did.

Anyone else?

ASA FHE Mod HF Mod, PRF Mod, DP-GH GH-Advanced, DMAC, FAC
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Since the instructions in the assignment encourage us to use the examples in the module as templates (all of which have incurred dates of 2005 only), I am wondering whether it would suffice to use incurred dates for CY 2005 alone for the reserves calculations, or whether there is any additional value to including 2004 as well. Since the claims all complete within 6 months, I'm questioning whether there is much value to using 2004 incurred claims as well (and for that matter 2003 also) to develop the reserves. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

College: UC Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireburner10 View Post
Don't know if anyone is working on this part right now, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Module assignment says the avg of the 3 methods should get you an IBNR estimate of $2.4m for runout of claims in 2010 that occured in 2011. Using an 11% trend (consistent with Task 2, haven't gotten to Task 3 yet), I'm getting an avg of $2,106,909 for the 3 methods, with actual runout of $2,027,117. I've copied all the appropriate tabs and double checked formulas. For the trend, I'm also only going back 6 months for the experience period like the case study did.

Anyone else?
It's nice to see a posting for the current assignment.

I'm pretty sure that the $2.4M is the FY 2010 year-end reserve. Did you try to duplicate that number by calculating the reserve methods from a year earlier than the assignment?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM
SOA CCA AAA

Studying for Nothing, just waiting
College: Clemson Alum
Favorite beer: Wine
Default Age/Sex Factor

Did anyone do anything with the Age/sex Factor on the Data1-elig tab? We don't have the claims by region, but we do have them by Plan, so it is possible to apply it. I'm just not sure if I'm overthinking it.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenie506 View Post
Did anyone do anything with the Age/sex Factor on the Data1-elig tab? We don't have the claims by region, but we do have them by Plan, so it is possible to apply it. I'm just not sure if I'm overthinking it.
I used them to normalize the PMPM data, though it didn't have a big effect. The average factor was mostly the same throughout.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:57 PM

College: UC Santa Cruz

I don't think you'd want to normalize for reserve purposes. Say a historical PMPM is $250 and a demo factor is 0.85. If you normalize and use 250/0.85 = 294, then you will artificially be inflating the reserve.

The case study also did not normalize.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Deicide View Post
I don't think you'd want to normalize for reserve purposes. Say a historical PMPM is $250 and a demo factor is 0.85. If you normalize and use 250/0.85 = 294, then you will artificially be inflating the reserve.

The case study also did not normalize.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't normalize for the actual reserve - just to calculate the trend. Which, coincidentally, I'm still a little unclear on what number I'm going to use.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM
SOA CCA AAA

Studying for Nothing, just waiting
College: Clemson Alum
Favorite beer: Wine

I decided not to use the age/sex factor anywhere. I had the same thought process as you Sir Deicide (it's not in the case study), but the fact that they included in the data in the first place was making me second guess myself.