Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:05 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

"Unpopular opinion". That is a very curious way to put it.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 04-27-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
Interesting. But wouldn't this sort of behavior exist only in the bedroom? Would an autogynephile want to completely transform into a woman? Sort of like a submissive who like to wear a dog collar and crawl on the ground. They don't necessarily want to completely transform into a dog and live their life that way, but like to do it in private.
I'd advise reading on autogynephilia.

Please be aware that it's considered not nice to know about autogynephilia and that it's seen as even less nice to want to know more about it.

It's not an idea meant to explain all instances of transgenderism but if, say, Mike Tyson ever came out as transgender, you can bet that autogynephilia theory would work work wonders in explaining the phenomenon.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuwannabemtl View Post
I'd advise reading on autogynephilia.

Please be aware that it's considered not nice to know about autogynephilia and that it's seen as even less nice to want to know more about it.

It's not an idea meant to explain all instances of transgenderism but if, say, Mike Tyson ever came out as transgender, you can bet that autogynephilia theory would work work wonders in explaining the phenomenon.
I'm not going to research that word at work, but I think I follow the general line of thinking. Yeah, I can see why it's so unpopular. It sounds like an attempt to categorize the desire of transgenders to transform as a sort of perversion. That doesn't usually go over so well when somebody is different and others who doesn't understand assume it's some sort of sexual fantasy. It may be the case for some, but generalizations typically don't work very well with this sort of thing (which you pointed out as well in your post, although you went ahead and generalized with Bruce anyways).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didon View Post
[ME ME ME]I am privileged in so many ways and can't even begin to imagine what Jenner is going through. But I have to say, I was a bit apprehensive about going to work today at my extremely traditional employer. I thought I would hear at least one or two annoying transphobic comments. As it turned out, no one was talking about this at the "water cooler." I didn't hear a single derogatory conversation about Jenner or his interview. In my own little sheltered world, I was happy about that. I thought it was probably worth mentioning here, only because if there is a single trans actuary reading this, it might perhaps be encouraging. I hope I'm not attributing too much importance to my own isolated experience.[/ME ME ME]
No one in my office even mentioned the topic.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Official AO Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Numbers View Post
I feel a need to interject something here.

Honey Bees.

Like many animals, are divided into two sexes, male and female. However they have at least 3 genders: male, sterile worker females, and fertile queen females.

Most honey bees you see are female workers. They do work and never get to have sex. Sad.

Then there are males. Males, curiously enough, are born from unfertilized eggs, so they contain only the queen's DNA. Their job is to sex themselves to death with the queen. Unfortunately for them, the queen only needs to have sex a couple of times, after which it stores up all the sperm from its youthful orgy in a special organ to use for the rest of her life. Because of this, males will leave the nest and hang out with other lonely bee dudebros from other hives at special locations where they'll wait for horny virgin queens from other hives to come by lookin' for some bee thwang. The males have a morphology that is useless for making wax, eating nectar, or really doing anything of use other than porking it up with her highness.

Finally, and more importantly, we have the queens. When the queen starts getting old and her baby-pooper is running out of steam, her jealous worker friends decide to plot her demise. They take some of her eggs and put them in special positions in the nest and feed them better food, which causes them to develop into fertile queens (worker bees are fed pollen and honey after a while, whereas queens are fed on a strict diet of "royal jelly".) The fertile queen honey bees then hatch and assassinate the old queen and break out into a battle royale to the death so that only one remains. This also happens when it's time for the hive to go find a new nest. The old queen will get the hell out of dodge along with most of the swarm and leave some baby queens to fight to the death in her absence.

I had a point. I forget what it was, but I'd want to check ol' Bruce for a stinger.
Last night at trivia, one of the questions was, "What do queen bees eat?" When I said 'Royal Jelly', my team looked at me like they weren't sure if I was kidding or not but I said, "Don't worry, I read it on the internet today."
Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM
CAS

i actually learned of royal jelly from playing computer games...

the things you learn
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM

I learned about royal jelly reading the encyclopedia article on bees when I was 3. Slackers.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM
SOA

I've identified as royal jelly since I was 2.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Official AO Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I learned about royal jelly reading the encyclopedia article on bees when I was 3. Slackers.
You wanna join our trivia team?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX. View Post
You wanna join our trivia team?
If I were closer sure.