Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
Some college grads aren't smart enough to earn anything more than $20/hr adjusted for inflation. But they're not on these boards, so let's not discuss them.

We're not talking about doing nothing. Take an extra 2 months to find a job that offers professional development opportunities in addition to a paycheck. Take a Business Analyst role or Project Management or something at a mediocre company, at least that'll have more transferable skills than delivering mail.

Leave mailroom jobs for people who really need them.
If the OP has these options, why is (s)he here? Maybe this is a bird-in-the-hand situation. I looked for jobs like you're saying for several months and ended up waiting tables for a while. Started from the bottom, now I'm here. Maxing out credit cards is terrible advice and menail labor won't stop you from pursuing loftier goals.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
At my first actuarial job the admin was really sharp. She ended up promoted to an entry-level actuary job. Dunno what happened after that.
While that is possible, those stories are rare, and it's actually harder to move up that way - mostly because you have to spend time doing admin work. The easiest way is to just pass 5 exams while sitting on your parent's couch for a couple months, then get an EL actuarial job. I would guess more people get an EL job by doing the latter than by doing the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Naw don't think of it from a marketability standpoint. Every extra exam now means one fewer exam you have to study for at work. The sooner you finish, the better. More time to spend with your family, etc.
Though on the flip side, you'll have to take hard exams at your job, meaning you have a higher chance to fail these exams, which translates to less opportunity to establish a track record of success early in your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam View Post
Every actuary knows they can pass exam without full time work. Exam passer without work/school means nothing.
So if someone went thru all the prelims in 1 year, it'd still mean nothing ? It'd mean nothing about that person's IQ ? I guess you feel the same about people who went fulltime to grad school, no matter how elite the program ? "they just couldn't balance work and study!"
Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuwannabemtl View Post
So if someone went thru all the prelims in 1 year, it'd still mean nothing ? It'd mean nothing about that person's IQ ? I guess you feel the same about people who went fulltime to grad school, no matter how elite the program ? "they just couldn't balance work and study!"
It does. The good hiring managers will recognize this. They want talent. The hiring managers who somehow think you need to work a menial job before becoming an actuary won't. You want to work for the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuwannabemtl View Post
What he's saying is ELs already have the necessary baseline IQ, selected via methods other than # of exams.

If you sit home and pass all prelims in a year, that doesn't guarantee firms knocking on your door. You'll still have to compete against 2-exammers with other experiences, and you're not even certain to be qualified for final rounds. I'm not sure any recruiting firm will even waste time on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 05-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

tl;dnr summary:

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: beer

Well I certainly think you should apply for the job, whats the worst that can happen? People in this thread all seem to think you already have the job. More than likely they will consider you over qualified and you wouldn't even get the offer.

Personally, I think working is better than not working generally. The longer you are out of school without a position the worse off you will be, that's a fact.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:34 PM
SOA

Go for it. It may help you getting an actuary job with this company. You will get to know people. You can make contacts and introduce yourself. Also, a company may have sympathy towards a hardworking guy in the mail room and passing exams.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
While that is possible, those stories are rare, and it's actually harder to move up that way - mostly because you have to spend time doing admin work. The easiest way is to just pass 5 exams while sitting on your parent's couch for a couple months, then get an EL actuarial job. I would guess more people get an EL job by doing the latter than by doing the former.
I agree with the side suggesting NOT to get the mail room job unless you are just absolutely strapped for cash. I had an opportunity to work at Target for 40 hours a week while my wife finished her school (a college town with not many options anyways). Instead I decided to study for exams and most of you know how that turned out. If I had taken that job at Target I firmly believe there would be almost no chance for me to have an actuarial job now.

But the story is N = 1. My advice is to keep working hard at getting an actuarial job and keep pushing other skills to get there.

-Riley