Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
I dont think there is much room for independent thought in data entry.

OP sounds like he is in defeatism, which is (like vj said) probably coming out in interviews. It sounds like it is also holding back your search to the point where you are not even getting interviews anymore.

Sounds like you need to reset your frame of mind. Re-write your resume, get applications out, get a list of target companies to keep an eye on, network with people you know (you know FSAs, reach out to them). Maybe even look for a different job; if the data entry is doing nothing for you, try to find something that you can apply at least some analysis to.

and above all, put a positive spin on all your experiences.
Well, you are right about the data entry. There is not much thinking at all. You just have to type extremely fast and use the mouse extremely fast. It is a very demeaning job.

When you can never find a good job, it leads to the defeatist mindset. Because everywhere you go, you get defeated.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Act View Post
One of the career counselors I follow said it is important to be low-maintenance as an employee. I feel like it shows I am very low-maintenance to have perfect attendance.
That's true but also not something you put on your resume. Maybe on your Tinder profile.

Quote:
I feel like I can discuss any topic very intelligently. I do a lot of reading of the news everyday and feel that I can talk about most subjects.
This strikes me as odd. Perhaps because it sounds cocky vs your previous "defeatist" attitude?

Honestly dude you got all of the standard advice in this thread already. Not sure why you aren't taking advantage of it. Have you reached out to friends? Asked the past companies why you weren't hired (although they probably won't give you the real reason but it's worth a shot)? Talked to an EL recruiter and asked them for interview tips/held a mock interview and received feedback? Geographically limited?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
One of the career counselors I follow said it is important to be low-maintenance as an employee. I feel like it shows I am very low-maintenance to have perfect attendance.
Making a big deal about simply showing up would seem to indicate that you are not low-maintenance. Showing up ought to be a given.

Being low-maintenance means learning what is expected, asking questions but learning from the answers so that you don't have to keep asking, doing what is expected, making sure what you do is right, and stuff like that.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
It is a very demeaning job.
This shows a different kind of bad attitude imo.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Making a big deal about simply showing up would seem to indicate that you are not low-maintenance. Showing up ought to be a given.

Being low-maintenance means learning what is expected, asking questions but learning from the answers so that you don't have to keep asking, doing what is expected, making sure what you do is right, and stuff like that.
Okay, I won't talk about my attendance/punctuality anymore, but it is always one of the few things I can talk about myself. But how come mentioning your attendance shows you are not low-maintenance?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:53 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
I am curious about what kind of data entry job you have been doing for 3 years in your OP. Were all data hard coded and had to be extracted from numerous websites all in different formats or all were saved in pictures with watermarks?

Or were you asked to manually enter a lot of data to some special software that did not allow you to write your own formulas?

If your data were saved in Excel or some programming software, you should be able to automate some tasks. That's the kind of technical job you need to find.

Even entering data to some system without programming for 30 years will not be as valuable as automating tasks with programming for 3 months.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
I feel like I can discuss any topic very intelligently. I do a lot of reading of the news everyday and feel that I can talk about most subjects.
This comment actually concerns me for the same reason the "prove myself" quote. First off, no one can discuss all topics intelligently. They can maybe intelligently ask questions on any topic, but no one knows everything. Second, being a good conversationalist isn't about knowing everything, but finding out what the other person knows.
Quote:
Okay, I won't talk about my attendance/punctuality anymore, but it is always one of the few things I can talk about myself. But how come mentioning your attendance shows you are not low-maintenance?
I wouldn't use the word high-maintenance, and it might just be the difference in talking about a job like you're at now versus a career oriented position. I haven't missed a single day unplanned in 5 years. Other people have to miss a day here or there for a kid being sick, car accident, etc. Basically, we operate under the assumption that if you have to miss last minute, it's for a good reason and we're not going to hold that against anyone.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:41 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
I wouldn't use the word high-maintenance, and it might just be the difference in talking about a job like you're at now versus a career oriented position. I haven't missed a single day unplanned in 5 years. Other people have to miss a day here or there for a kid being sick, car accident, etc. Basically, we operate under the assumption that if you have to miss last minute, it's for a good reason and we're not going to hold that against anyone.
It's true, I was able to meet ditka even though I had changed plans at the very last minute. He even brought his own bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
This comment actually concerns me for the same reason the "prove myself" quote. First off, no one can discuss all topics intelligently. They can maybe intelligently ask questions on any topic, but no one knows everything. Second, being a good conversationalist isn't about knowing everything, but finding out what the other person knows.
Okay, you are right. What concerns you about the "prove myself" quote?

Quote:
I haven't missed a single day unplanned in 5 years.
Wow, you sound like you are very punctual too.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_actuary View Post
I thought you said you had many years of experience and passed all preliminary exams already. Why do you still do data entry jobs?

Cannot you find ways to automate some data entry work?

I worked with an actuary who was the smartest actuary in my previous job's team. I used to work like you in first couple months of my first actuarial job. One day I asked the smart actuary what entry levels should do to earn manager's approval for full-time offer. The actuary then told me that entry levels should find ways to improve efficiency of manual work. No actuary would expect entry levels to do actuarial judgment type of work but there are many manual tasks to do so entry levels are hired.

I followed his advice to try to automate every assignment my previous boss passed as much as I could. I keep learning new ways to automate or shorten work processing time currently. Meanwhile I got to try learning how to make actuarial judgment in order to level up in the future.
dang so the job for the current EL employees is to eliminate the need to hire future EL employees...