Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Retirement Plan Investment and Risk Management Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-16-2017, 04:03 PM
SOA

Default What did you use or are using to study for this?

What manuals are good for this? What are you using, or did you use, to study for this? I am looking for a manual to buy. Actuarial Book Store has several to choose from.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:29 PM

The PAK offers the following:
  • Study Manual (including explained concepts from the official readings, list of past relevant questions, concept quizz,and 5 exam-type MOCK),
  • Condensed Summary (filtered and important points),
  • Flash cards (memory aid),
  • Exam Aid (filtered past exams and a list of 40 exam-type MOCK)
  • Test Aid (practice exams to be graded and you receive comments).

Many students who have used the PAK have passed the RP-IRM exam and shared their insights. Many have passed on the first attempt.

I am sure you will too.

Thanks.

Visit our website at:
http://www.pakstudymanual.com/
Old 06-17-2017, 10:57 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

I used PAK for RPIRM and Edge for DAU. Both seem pretty solid though I don't know if I passed this yet!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Indeed those who used in prior exams actually passed and the many reports i receive are awesome. Let me know how it goes for you. Thanks.

Visit our website at:
Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
I used PAK for RPIRM and Edge for DAU. Both seem pretty solid though I don't know if I passed this yet!
Did you buy the entire package? Just the manual?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 PM
SOA

I did not find the exam aid to be helpful in preparing me for the Spring 2017 exam. I went through every mock question and did not find them to be representative of the types of questions asked on the actual exams.

I am already assuming I failed May 2017 and will be looking to revise my approach to studying for this exam in Fall 2017. There were a lot of questions out of left field that were never tested before and that's what did me in.

I will probably purchase the PAK manual only as I heard it actually was helpful in preparing for the questions asked on the May 2017 sitting.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:01 PM

I am sure you will be happy using the PAK for your next sitting and will wonder why you did not try it in the first place. Below are some of the testimonies that I have received for this exam. They are also available on our webpage:

I used the PAK products for the RP-IRM exam. Bell did an excellent job putting all of the materials together. It really helped to make my study time more efficient. The positive feedback upon taking the practice test was crucial in boosting my confidence right before the exam. These study materials really helped me to pass the first time and with the highest score I have ever received on an exam. Thank you! H.M. RB-RP-IRM Fall 2016

Bell! Thanks to your PAK program, I did pass on my first try! Thank you very much! James T. RB-RP-IRM Fall 2016.

Bell, I did pass the exam. Your compilation of all the past exam questions and the 30 MOCK problems really helped me! I don't think I would be able to do that myself. Shen L RB-RP-IRM Fall 2016.

Bell, I passed RB-RP-IRM. Thank you for your help in answering all my questions and putting together the PAK study manual. M.F RB-RP-IRM Fall 2016.

Bell, I passed the exam! You manual is extremely helpful. Im so glad that I purchased the PAK on my own even though I was a little concerned about it at first since its a new manual for that exam. I definitely like it a lot and thank you for promptly answered my questions along the way too! Sharon L, RB-RP-IRM Spring 2016.

"I used the Pak manual for my second sitting and highly recommend it. The outlines were so detailed and the practice problems were more reflective of the actual exam problems. In particular the consolidated summary served as a great refresher. I kept thinking as I read through the manual, if I had this the first time I would have done much better. There was less emphasize on memorizing and more focus on the concepts and knowing the details that push you from a 5 to a 6. Thanks for a great study manual. Caroline P. RB-RP-IRM Spring 2016"

I used PAK for the exam. After two 4's, four 5's and 14 years of taking exams, I was able to pass my last exam. The manual was systematic and the perfect level of density of information. Thanks also for responding to all my exam questions Bell and being my guide on my last exam. G.G, RB-RP-IRM, Spring 2016.

Best of luck and welcome to PAK.

www.pakstudymanual.com

Visit our website at:
Old 01-14-2019, 11:44 AM
SOA

Studying for FAC

Did anyone use both Edge and PAK? If so, how did you incorporate both into your studies?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymath View Post
Did anyone use both Edge and PAK? If so, how did you incorporate both into your studies?
EDGE is significantly more expensive than PAK. Did anyone find it worth it to get EDGE over PAK?

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM
Old 03-03-2019, 02:39 PM
SOA

College: Ohio State
Default PAK vs. Edge

I have never personally used Edge, so cannot comment on that website. I can say that the readings on Pak got me relatively well prepared for the exam. It is just useful for readings though. I did not find the mock tests or study cards useful. The videos are just a guy reading off the slides and provide no additional value. I tried emailing in a question and the response wasn't timely or helpful. So if you are looking at different packages, probably the baseline will be the most reasonable. I wish theinfiniteactuary would get it on this, but not enough demand unfortunately.