Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-15-2017, 09:16 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
That's crazy...I'm curious if those numbers improve any with the changes EA has made.

I find it funny how they looked to take the franchise in the right direction by giving people the campaign they wanted in the first game, but shot themselves in the foot with one of the worst implementations of microtransactions.
I feel like I missed what happened with BF2 to get people super pissed off.. I briefly played the first at my BIL's house and it seemed fun enough (although I usually get bored of FPS games quicker than I'd hope, though I loved the original BF).

Am I correct that now you need to unlock the different Jedis in order to be able to play them in the game? And unlocking them has basically been set up similar to a free to play game on your phone where they try and get you to buy stuff to quicken things? But they've done all this in a legit $60 game?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I feel like I missed what happened with BF2 to get people super pissed off.. I briefly played the first at my BIL's house and it seemed fun enough (although I usually get bored of FPS games quicker than I'd hope, though I loved the original BF).

Am I correct that now you need to unlock the different Jedis in order to be able to play them in the game? And unlocking them has basically been set up similar to a free to play game on your phone where they try and get you to buy stuff to quicken things? But they've done all this in a legit $60 game?
You've basically got it. BF2 is definitely not the first full price console/PC game with F2P-like "pay to win" components. But I think the level of grind required to make any progress feels like a scummy way of "forcing" players to pay.

Compare this to Shadow of War, which had its fair share of "pay to win" complaining pre-launch. Once it came out, the worries pretty much calmed down, as from what I've read, "non-paying" players didn't seem to feel there was an unfair grind to get items available in paid loot boxes.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
You've basically got it. BF2 is definitely not the first full price console/PC game with F2P-like "pay to win" components. But I think the level of grind required to make any progress feels like a scummy way of "forcing" players to pay.

Compare this to Shadow of War, which had its fair share of "pay to win" complaining pre-launch. Once it came out, the worries pretty much calmed down, as from what I've read, "non-paying" players didn't seem to feel there was an unfair grind to get items available in paid loot boxes.
Is it as far as "pay to win"? I play a lot of League of Legends and so you can pay for skins and that sort of thing, but you couldn't pay to actually improve your performance (with a slight exception not worth going into).

In FPS games (thinking of Battlefield 1, funny enough also by EA which I had a lot of fun with until my one buddy stopped playing and I got bored by myself) most of the grinding is to unlock slight modifications for your weapons which some are objectively better, although the upgrade isn't significant enough to where you'd declare it to be OP. Though I could see if it's like well you have to wait 30 hours or pay $5 to be able to spawn a tank that would be scummy. Is that what they've done in BF2? Or is it you basically can pay $s to more quickly get your weapon mods? Though even that is a bit scummy on a legit game (as opposed to some "free" game you downloaded)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 AM
SOA

Quote:
Is it as far as "pay to win"? I play a lot of League of Legends and so you can pay for skins and that sort of thing, but you couldn't pay to actually improve your performance (with a slight exception not worth going into).
Yeah, this is where microtransactions is done right. LoL, DOTA, and Overwatch all have paid blind boxes, but they don't affect gameplay and are mostly for status boasting.

Quote:
In FPS games (thinking of Battlefield 1, funny enough also by EA which I had a lot of fun with until my one buddy stopped playing and I got bored by myself) most of the grinding is to unlock slight modifications for your weapons which some are objectively better, although the upgrade isn't significant enough to where you'd declare it to be OP. Though I could see if it's like well you have to wait 30 hours or pay $5 to be able to spawn a tank that would be scummy. Is that what they've done in BF2? Or is it you basically can pay $s to more quickly get your weapon mods? Though even that is a bit scummy on a legit game (as opposed to some "free" game you downloaded)
I'm not an entirely sure about the details on how it's done in BF2, but from what I've read it's like paying for experience points and/or currently to pay for character and/or level upgrades.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 AM
It's a funny name.

one example I saw was that there's a Heroes vs Villains multiplayer mode (think Han Solo, Luke, Chewbacca against Vader, Maul, Dooku, etc). Somebody shared a screenshot on Reddit where he had joined an instance of that, but got hung up at the character selection screen because all of the unlocked heroes were already taken by other members of his team and he couldn't select a character to play. Because the other heroes were locked behind the paywall/onerous grinding, he wasn't able to join the match.

to me, that's a big miss.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM
CAS

Quote:
It certainly seems so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRTfxORTtc
Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoaos View Post
Not to be too "high and mighty" but my friends and I all bailed on getting Battlefront 2 because of all this garbage.
Same, I just bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, and was looking forward to buying BF2 when it came out. Going to be a hard pass for me. It's nice when a company shows so much contempt for their customers so I know to avoid the product.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
tldw;?

But if they do have a pay to win that's super messed up, certainly sounds like too much pay to play from what I understand at least, like the not being able to pick any guy because you have to pay for the only ones left.. stupid.

Why can't they just take the original battlefront and improve the graphics!? That game was awesome.. with the space map too so you'd care about the battles beyond simply fighting etc
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM
CAS

Speaking of Bloodborne, absolutely loving it. My first couple of sittings had me dying and losing all my blood vials to the big guy beneath the stairs. I just kept going right back up to him to try and learn how to parry.

Eventually I got it down, but that initial scarcity of blood vials has left quite an impression on me, and now I hoard them too much. I looked and I have 60 vials in storage but only 20 bullets. I guess that means I'm relying a bit too heavily on my gun, and not enough on dodging, especially on bigger enemies. Next time I play I'm going to try and focus on learning how to kill big guys without parrying.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 AM
CAS

Quote:
tldw;?

But if they do have a pay to win that's super messed up, certainly sounds like too much pay to play from what I understand at least, like the not being able to pick any guy because you have to pay for the only ones left.. stupid.

Why can't they just take the original battlefront and improve the graphics!? That game was awesome.. with the space map too so you'd care about the battles beyond simply fighting etc
You only need to watch the first 5 minutes or so. Basically you get upgrades to your fighter that makes your guns more powerful, your turning quicker, more health, etc. The footage is of him totally leveled-up and just mowing down other players like they're easy mode AI.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one