Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 AM

Initial September guesses:
A 3C. Limited by my 1S bid last time. 2NT will not get us to 5C when it's right, as 3C by partner there would show a weak hand, so he'll raise NT with values even with five clubs and xxxx of hearts, and often even with six clubs. Yes, we might end up in a 4-3 fit when he's minimum, but 2NT was not going to be wonderful then, either.
B 5D. One of these games is probably making, and if I'm wrong about that, down 1 at both tables is not a disaster at IMPs. A double game swing would be a big disaster.
C Pass; Pass. Way too much information out there already. They are likely to be able to double 3D for the magic +200 most of the time when it's wrong. If this were IMPs or we weren't vulnerable, I'd bid 3D.
D 3NT. Hamman's rule. If I double I find all the spade games but it works out terribly in the most likely event that partner bids hearts. If I bid 3D, I can't get back to 3NT after partner raises. I can pass a lot of 15s, but not with a double-stopper, a five-card suit, and LHO a passed hand, red at IMPs.
E 4NT. This is clearly minors in BWS (4S is explicitly hearts + a minor and 4NT is "takeout" by metaagreement, so that must be minors). It won't take much to make a minor suit game, which is good, as partner is not likely to have much given his spade shortness and heart length. Pass is reasonable. 3NT is unwise since partner is too likely to bid 4H on precisely the hands where you wanted to be in 3NT. 4C and 4D are unmentionable--either try to get to the right strain, or pass.
F 2D. This quacks like it needs to take a dive in the lake.
G 3NT. I'd pass at matchpoints, but at IMPs the risk (-730 vs -100) way outweighs the reward (+200 vs -50). Partner needs the goods to be doubling here and since he doesn't have a void (no raise), the goods are likely to be in enough high cards to give 3NT good play, so 4C is an underbid.
H HA. East very likely has solid diamonds, so I need to find out fast which suit is our source of tricks, and an ace-lead gives me two bites at the apple.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:06 AM
CAS

Studying for the Last Reformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
hfbb.
I was just noting that his responses at that point were identical what was leading? I know I said it in a strange way.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:19 AM
CAS

Studying for the Last Reformation

A) 2NT
B) 5
C) Pass/3
D) X
E) 3NT
F) 2
G) 4
H) 2

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)