Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
because they don't and you're full of shit.
Look at tech companies at Silicon Valley.

There is no reason why any company would want an environment where companies poach from each other. All that would lead to is higher wages and lower profits for no extra talent at all.

If no one poached, then wages would stagnate, but talent would remain the same, which aligns with corporations' goals of maximizing profits.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 PM

College: About to be a super senior

This non-compete and non poaching shit. 99% of us don't need to worry about it. Worry about it after you make partner/principal at a consulting firm. This isn't big law in NYC

I had a non compete, which was pretty much a formality. It wasn't brought up at all when I left the company.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
This non-compete and non poaching shit. 99% of us don't need to worry about it. Worry about it after you make partner/principal at a consulting firm. This isn't big law in NYC

I had a non compete, which was pretty much a formality. It wasn't brought up at all when I left the company.
I have a non compete

I am a small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

I laugh at you guys who think that your compensation isn't even on corporate's radar.

Companies will fight you over a penny, because that is their legal obligation.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:52 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I laugh at you guys who think that your compensation isn't even on corporate's radar.

Companies will fight you over a penny, because that is their legal obligation.
You're clearly familiar with all companies. Kudos.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 07-21-2018, 01:31 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

The bigger the market you're in, the less they seem to fight you.

-Riley
Old 07-21-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
...Companies will fight you over a penny, because that is their legal obligation.
No it isn't. Their obligation is to maximise shareholder value. If it will cost more than their possible gain, then using your logic their legal obligation is actually NOT to fight you.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
No it isn't. Their obligation is to maximise shareholder value. If it will cost more than their possible gain, then using your logic their legal obligation is actually NOT to fight you.
They maximize shareholder value by maximizing profits.

Your wage has a negative correlation with profits. It also costs nothing to lower your wage except 2 minutes changing a cell in some spreadsheet.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
Principal agent problem applies.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Principal agent problem applies.
It depends how a certain business unit is perceived, either as a rain maker or a cost center. This distinction is not always fact-based, and the determination is sometimes far from objective. A lot of business management fads feed into what kind of roles are perceived as even being capable of generating surplus value through incremental investment in talent.

When I was working in banking fraud risk a while back, the VP made it a pillar of his career strategy to sell the message to senior management that fraud risk mitigation was actually a revenue generator (by reducing preventable losses) and not merely a cost center. This was a perception that previous generations of senior management simply didn't have. They thought of it as just one of those things you have to do as a bank, but not one where increased investment beyond the minimum requirement could actually boost the bottom line in a meaningful way. That VP's campaign was good for his position (as it recast his role from back of the bus to somewhere int he middle), and it was good for the personnel planning under him. It's the kind of perception change that can change how compensation increases are viewed too.