Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 AM
SOA

Default hours

Just wondering if everyone is on track to study "350" hours. I've only done about 150 so far and am 90% through the material.

My usual philosophy is 'work smarter, not harder' so i'm curious if that will fly with this exam...
Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 AM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: UCB
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Took Mahler PE 4 and got killed. I was doing decently well on the other 3 but this one was just difficult and long. I think I spent around 20 mins on one problem and then just ended up using the table mode on the calculator to get the answer.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 AM
SOA

Studying for Time Series, Regression

The exam will contain 35 questions and getting 25 answers correct should be safe passing it, right? Thank you.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZetaProject View Post
Just wondering if everyone is on track to study "350" hours. I've only done about 150 so far and am 90% through the material.

My usual philosophy is 'work smarter, not harder' so i'm curious if that will fly with this exam...
Hell no! I've done about 90 study hours
Old 09-14-2017, 02:46 PM
CAS SOA

Do you guys think the video lessons on ADAPT are more helpful than reading the ASM? Debating if i should get it or not.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmari01 View Post
Do you guys think the video lessons on ADAPT are more helpful than reading the ASM? Debating if i should get it or not.
If you mean the Coaching Actuaries video lessons, I don't think I would have gotten through the manual as quickly as I did if I hadn't purchased the video lessons. I think they compliment each other well, but if you're pressed for time, definitely consider them.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZetaProject View Post

I think I'm on pace for about 275-300, so I doubt I'll get to 350. I don't think 350 is a hard and fast rule, just more of a recommendation. There have been tons of people who've passed with less study time.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:17 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorizingFormulas View Post
The exam will contain 35 questions and getting 25 answers correct should be safe passing it, right? Thank you.
I think 25 is the minimum based on recent pass marks. I'd be shooting for 27 or 28 so that I'd have some wiggle room.

Edit: It looks like the "average" pass mark was right around 67% of the questions which would be 23.33 or 24. This is the average pass mark, so depending on the specific exam you get, it could be higher or lower.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:06 PM
CAS

College: Alumni University of Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoosetheMoose View Post
Maybe I am missing the point here, but why would you only do ADAPT exams that draw from a question bank solely comprised of questions published by the SOA/CAS? Those problems and their solutions are publicly available. If you are paying for an ADAPT subscription, you may as well exposure yourself to the questions that coachingactuaries have created as a part of their (very extensive) question bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCoolKD View Post
skip end of chapter questions is ok if you run out of time. You will pick it up by doing practice exams. Highly recommend ADAPT, do exams with "exclusive SOA/CAS" questions so you will get exposures to most of SOA 308 sample questions. Also do some ASM PEs while doing ADAPT. Do the last 50 or so SOA questions in the last two days.
I felt like the pure ADAPT exams are too hard and the SOA/CAS questions are much similar to the real exam. I meant do some "exclusive" PEs combine with normal ADAPT exams. and ASM exams give a better sense of the real exam level (also ASM solution shows you short cuts). I know the SOA/CAS samples' answers are published, but the ADAPT may have a better solution, or most important the discussion board below each solution is very helpful if I don't understand the solution of that question, people shared short cut there too.
This way, you don't need to go to do SOA305 questions if you ran out of time. But you have already seen those in ADAPT. and when I went back to do the last 55 problems of SOA I already was pretty comfortable with them, and only a few questions I still got wrong and need to study for those. (anyways, this is just my experience. It may not suit for everyone.)

Last edited by StayCoolKD; 09-14-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 04:27 AM
Non-Actuary

College: University of Washington

Hmmm.....8/35 and 12/35 for ASM 3rd and forth PE. Usually 25-27 for level 6+ Adapt PEs on recent practice. A month before the exam, something serious going on.... the real exam do have a chance to be incredibly hard and right now I am still struggling, does anyone have the same concerns?