Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 09-13-2017, 02:54 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Queen of Earth (2015) Annoying people dealing with failed relationships, poorly.
My #1 for 2015
Spoiler:
30 Years of Garbage/Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/The Ballad Of Lefty Brown/Brigsby Bear/The Challenge/Gemini/Golden Exits/A Gray State/Hacksaw Ridge/Hold The Dark/Housewife/The Innocents/Journeyman/Loveless/Mohawk/No Stone Unturned/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Perfect Bid/Piercing/The Road Movie/Silence/The Square/The Strange Ones/Sweet Virginia/Uncertain/Widows/The Work
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Silver Haze View Post
My #1 for 2015
really?? Each to their own. I had to work to hard to figure out what time period I was in as well and I really didn't get the end
Spoiler:
the picture shrouded in red.. blood and I disliked the girl too much by the time they did the slow reveal as to her father's death as well, to garner sympathy
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

She is an awful person but I found it extremely enjoyable to watch, similar in that respect to Listen Up Philip. The opening scene is amazing
Spoiler:
30 Years of Garbage/Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/The Ballad Of Lefty Brown/Brigsby Bear/The Challenge/Gemini/Golden Exits/A Gray State/Hacksaw Ridge/Hold The Dark/Housewife/The Innocents/Journeyman/Loveless/Mohawk/No Stone Unturned/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Perfect Bid/Piercing/The Road Movie/Silence/The Square/The Strange Ones/Sweet Virginia/Uncertain/Widows/The Work
Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
She is an awful person but I found it extremely enjoyable to watch, similar in that respect to Listen Up Philip. The opening scene is amazing
I'll give you that, just lost me after
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
Favorite beer: New Albanian Anything

Quote:
Thought I would love this, but ended up turning it off partway through due to annoyance/disgust with the main character, which is very rare for me. From what I remember, it was like if Ferris Bueller grew up and became an amoral, very sleazy policeman.
It's based on a book by the same guy who wrote Fight Club and Trainspotting. Book was odd too, but both those movies are different as well.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:17 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Not a movie, but I couldn't find a Last TV Series I've Watched thread.

Spaced (1999 - 2001)

Great! Simon Pegg with several other cast members who will go on to roles in future Simon Pegg movies. You've seen the basic setup before - Pegg and Jessica Hynes pretend to be a couple to rent an apartment together, but that's just setup and isn't really what the series is about. There are a couple quirky neighbors and quirky friends and quirky enemies. But it is way better than it sounds. There are lots of movie and music references, some silly stuff, some random plots that sometimes tie together (in a Seinfeld way). There are quite a few LOL moments. There were only two seasons with 7 episodes in each season.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 AM

One Man's Journey (1933) - Lionel Barrymore as a country doctor who never quite makes it to the big city.

Call Northside 777 (1948) - Reporter Jimmy Stewart responds to an ad that offers a large reward for finding the real killer to an old homicide. Based on a true story.

KC Confidential (1952) - A florist is framed for a robbery, and travels to Mexico pursuing any lead he can find in order to clear himself.

20000 Years in Sing Sing (1932) - Old Spencer Tracy in a prison rehabilitation movie.

The Trial (1962) - Anthony Perkins in an Orson Welles production based on Kafka. I felt some parallel to the movie Brazil. Very highly acclaimed, can be difficult to follow, and not for everyone. I will watch again in the future.

Peeping Tom (1960)- Disturbing film about a young man who films people as they die.

Primrose Path (1940) - Joel McCrea/Ginger Rogers version of good girl from the very wrong side of the tracks trying to stop her horrible family cycle. Enjoyed it.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 AM
CAS

mother! (2017)

I thought this was great. I think most audiences will hate this though. It has been advertised as a standard home-invasion horror movie and it is... not that. It's actually hard to discuss in much detail without giving much away but I'll just say the film is a deeply allegorical look at the creative process on a few levels. It starts off kind of slow and mysterious, and then...whoa...
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM

Mothers of Men (1917) - Interesting early women's rights movie. The lead actress faces tough choices between her man and the advancement of women's rights.

The Great Man (1956) - Good movie about a dedication to one of the time's most popular radio and TV personality who has just died. When Jose Ferrer digs into the people who knew this man the best, he is faced with a dilemma on what to tell the public.

Tomorrowland (2015) - Not a movie that I would normally seek out, but seemed interesting enough when flipping channels. sci-fi movie that kept things interesting.

Strange Interlude (1932) - Moira Shearer and Clark Gable in a movie about relationships, and how people's thoughts rarely transmit into what they say. This movie captures the thoughts, and worked for me.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdadude View Post
mother! (2017)

I thought this was great. I think most audiences will hate this though. It has been advertised as a standard home-invasion horror movie and it is... not that. It's actually hard to discuss in much detail without giving much away but I'll just say the film is a deeply allegorical look at the creative process on a few levels. It starts off kind of slow and mysterious, and then...whoa...
from what i've heard that is just window dressing. every review i've read has said that it is the craziest mother f ing thing they have ever seen. looking forward to it.