Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Can't help you here. According to Exam 9, you're supposed to decide on an allocation between the market portfolio and the risk free portfolio, based on the point tangent between the efficient frontier and your utility curve. I'm not sure where an individual stake like this would fit in.
Plus you have to worry about timing the market.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Lay out all the cash flows under a few different scenarios, but I think I’d do it. Worst case scenario, some major news comes out tomorrow that kills the company, so your wife’s $50K investment goes to $0, and she’s out of a job: definitely annoying, but it doesn’t financially ruin you guys (she’d be out of a job regardless of whether or not she invested the $50K, so the true worst case scenario is only a $50K loss). Maybe more realistically, a worst case scenario could be a situation where her shares are only worth $25K ten years from now, but along the way, between the 3% dividends and the marginal salary bump associated with becoming a partner in the company, she more than offset the $25K paper losses. Chances are, she also more than offset the opportunity cost of not investing the $50K in some S&P 500 fund over the next ten years. Obviously, there’s upside potential too if the company stays flat over the period, and huge upside potential if it thrives. Unless you have major red flags about the company, it seems like a no brainer to buy into it, especially if you can do it without taking out a loan.

That said, subjective factors might change this analysis. When I was at a privately held consulting shop, partners had a ton of expectations on them, especially around travel. The new role might add a lot of unwanted stress and responsibility, and depending on her priorities in life, she might want to turn it down even if it’d put you guys in a better spot financially.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

Assuming that next promotion comes, I expect she'll have some period of time before the full $50k is required - e.g. 3 years. Her employer won't be wanting to impose a hardship on their new officer.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
Assuming that next promotion comes, I expect she'll have some period of time before the full $50k is required - e.g. 3 years. Her employer won't be wanting to impose a hardship on their new officer.
Doubt this. I think this was why the personal loan was mentioned. Often the company itself arranges the loan to ensure that this isn't a direct hardship. Part of the point is to have the senior people mentally invested in the company, waiting 3 years doesn't accomplish that in the same way.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM
CAS

If you have access to the books (and the books are audited) it seems like a no-brainer. I assume the firm offers the personal loans that are common. If so, I wouldn't rule out going that route. The terms of the loan are probably favorable. In essence, you're just swapping cash comp for equity comp.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I'd be pretty nervy about needing to invest 50K in a private firm
IIRC - this is normal for many private firms. If you don't want to buy in, you don't get promoted to officer, and you hit a ceiling in the company.

I'm a good 5 years at the earliest, 10+ years more likely, from even being considered for promotion to officer at my firm, and I know that entails buying into the company. I'm currently uncertain if I'd want to do that, but by the time that comes around I'll figure it out.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Is she a lawyer? Sounds similar to becoming partner in a law firm.

Just do it. Keep your accountant in the loop.